Users browsing this thread: 16 Guest(s)
Poll: Which Mii Fighter are you going to use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The Mii Gunner
18.97%
11 18.97%
The Mii Brawler
24.14%
14 24.14%
The Mii Swordsman
22.41%
13 22.41%
I don't plan on using Miis
34.48%
20 34.48%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TSR's Super Smash Bros Thread|SWITCH HYPE TRAIN NOW BOARDING
To demonstrate why RNG item generation and overpowered items are bullshit for competitive play of a game, let me break out an example from another Wii U game: Mario Kart 8.

Picture me being in fourth place with my friends being in first and second and a computer in third. It's the final lap, about half of the course to go, I get given a Bullet Bill. In fourth place. It's unheard of. So I breeze through three places with no problem all the way up to first with a little extra space, and hit another item box.

Bullet Bill. In first place.

I finish the race in first with a bullet bill, and they still have a quarter of the track to get through.

Not every item is overpower, not every item is a Bullet Bill, but it COULD be, and Mario Kart is a game that USUALLY is selective about who gets such powerful items, and even that can fail. Smash has NO means of having that kind of ability to determine who should or shouldn't be getting an item for an advantage.

The only way Items play could be less random (but still random nonetheless) is if they invented a type of stage where items spawned at very specific places, much like guns on the ground in a classic 3D shooter. Or even using a type that already has been used, the slow-moving platforms from Multi Man Smash or the balloons from the Credits scene. That way the item inbound is telegraphed, and it is harder to be taken by surprise... but then you STILL have the issue of who is positioned closest to the item, and who has the fastest character most capable of getting in there first.

There's no way it can win, it's way to random.
Thanked by: Iceman404, Shade

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPER SM4SH BROS - by Omega - 07-05-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: TSR's Super Smash Bros Thread|The Original Home of RTB's Leaks! - by TomGuycott - 06-25-2015, 09:58 AM