Users browsing this thread: 82 Guest(s)
Poll: Which Mii Fighter are you going to use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The Mii Gunner
18.97%
11 18.97%
The Mii Brawler
24.14%
14 24.14%
The Mii Swordsman
22.41%
13 22.41%
I don't plan on using Miis
34.48%
20 34.48%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TSR's Super Smash Bros Thread|SWITCH HYPE TRAIN NOW BOARDING
I'm a bit late for this conversation, but I just thought I would point out one of the big reasons we only have one final smash per character. (And I apologize if this was already mentioned but I didn't read every line of text over the last four pages of this topic.)

One thing I think everyone can agree on is the fact that Final Smashes are incredibly overpowered and can completely change the flow of battle in favor of whoever snags it. To make up for this, each Final Smash has a specific shortcomings (or blind spots) that other players can attempt utilize to avoid being completely devastated. And one of the big important aspects of this functionality is knowing what kind of attack is forthcoming. When you see a specific character start glowing with FS power, you KNOW precisely what their attack is and can begin your scramble to avoid it (or throw your other opponents into the fire).

For examples, with characters like C. Falcon, Meta Knight, and Greninja, you KNOW that those characters need a target directly in front of them to pull off their attacks, so you're either going to stay far away from them or try to fake them into wasting it with slick dodging. For Mario or Samus, you KNOW that the safest way to avoid their attacks is either to get yourself above them or behind them when they fire. For transforming characters, you KNOW that you want to keep as much distance from them as possible in order to force them to waste their time limit hunting you down. Et cetera et cetera.

Now imagine a situation where each character has three or four different Finals they can pull off. Maybe Mario has his fireball cone, an AOE attack, and some sort of transformation into Giant Mario or something. Suddenly that knowledge that could give you a chance at escaping his attack is a moot point, because you don't KNOW which of the three he's going to choose, meaning he can take you completely by surprise, and not only that, but because he is not forced to use a single specific attack, he can change his mind dependent on what the other players are doing to give him the biggest unfair advantage. Try to get above or behind of him to avoid his conical firestorm? Well he'll just use that AOE attack instead to get you regardless.

Having multiple choices basically means the opponents never stand a chance, and it just becomes a super aggravating mechanic instead of a silly fun chaotic one. Half the fun of having Final Smashes is being on the other side of one and seeing if you have the skills it takes to survive it. It is not merely an instant win for whoever grabs it; if it was, NOBODY would enjoy the feature. And that is why it's important for you to know what it is you're dealing with.
Thanked by: BullockDS, Gors, TomGuycott

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPER SM4SH BROS - by Omega - 07-05-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: TSR's Super Smash Bros Thread|The Original Home of RTB's Leaks! - by Jermungandr - 06-25-2015, 02:05 AM