Users browsing this thread: 75 Guest(s)
Poll: Which Mii Fighter are you going to use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The Mii Gunner
18.97%
11 18.97%
The Mii Brawler
24.14%
14 24.14%
The Mii Swordsman
22.41%
13 22.41%
I don't plan on using Miis
34.48%
20 34.48%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TSR's Super Smash Bros Thread|SWITCH HYPE TRAIN NOW BOARDING
(12-01-2014, 03:15 AM)Koopaul Wrote: Well the point still is that capturing a character "accurately" is not something important in Smash. Sakurai acting like it is or that he does do a good job capturing these characters accurately is bullshit. Unfortunately he says these lies all the time in interviews.

A Smash fan will eat his lies up and praise him. But a Nintendo fan knows better.

Maybe if Sakurai said something like: "I work as hard as I can. I'm only human and I can't do everything perfect." Then I could understand him better.

I'm not sure why I'm reading this as "Yo dude fuck balance I want my characters to be 100% true to their game and be pure to its IP and pure to me"

Smash is a difficult game to balance. If Sakurai were to pull from every IP, the roster and balance would be a complete mess. Fox would be carrying around a rocket launcher, DK would have his stupid thrust lunge attack from DK64, Pikachu would only be able to use four attacks, and Marth would require that the player end the player phase so he can move and attack (but must stop if an enemy is in his way). If that were the case, even more people would complain because the game wouldn't feel fun anymore, it'd just feel like a clusterfuck of fan favorites in a platformer that you can sometimes hit the other opponent.

The thing is, at the same time that Sakurai has to create Smash and give characters their feel, he also has to create a varied roster of characters that allow for a balanced, fun experience found in a fighting game (brawler, whatever. You punch, it's a fighting game in this example) Fox can't carry the anti-aircraft rocket launcher from N64 nor can he use the gatling gun, because he'd probably be way too slow handling them and using those would be cumbersome. Falco can't use them either. Instead, Fox and Falco were made into close-range rushdown "needlers" that contrast with Donkey Kong's brick-wall moveset.

Then, of course there's the "clone characters" from Melee. I have absolutely no idea why Sakurai put them in (I'm assuming time constraints? Filling character slots to make fanboys rage?), but even their Luigified movesets made them varied enough from their original counterparts that some people insist on playing those characters instead (for example, Roy being a somewhat slower but more powerful version of Marth, taken out of Brawl to be replaced with Whoa-Definitely-Not-Roy, Lucas in Brawl being Ness with enough alternate properties on his attacks to make him play completely differently from Ness)

In short, when it comes to making games, gameplay and ensuring the game is mechanically sound comes way before appealing to fanservice with game-accurate portrayals.

(see also: Team Indie, a lackluster platforming game about a gamer's cat featuring indie game characters for the sake of using indie game characters in a "cool crossover")
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: E-Man, recme

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPER SM4SH BROS - by Omega - 07-05-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: SUPER SM4SH BROS: WII U (Spoilers Warning) - by Kosheh - 12-01-2014, 11:22 AM