Users browsing this thread: 101 Guest(s)
Poll: Which Mii Fighter are you going to use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The Mii Gunner
18.97%
11 18.97%
The Mii Brawler
24.14%
14 24.14%
The Mii Swordsman
22.41%
13 22.41%
I don't plan on using Miis
34.48%
20 34.48%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TSR's Super Smash Bros Thread|SWITCH HYPE TRAIN NOW BOARDING
I think what the separation boils down to is gameplay differences. I mean, in Street Fighter (kind of jumping away from Nintendo I know, but bear with me) Ryu is his own character, but there is also Evil Ryu, who is the same character following a darker path. Even though they are the same person (albeit different stages of their life), they receive completely different roster slots due to there being gameplay differences.

The fact that Dr Mario has a separate slot means that SOMETHING is different. It doesn't matter what anyone does or what they say; if Dr. Mario was put in the game as a separate slot, he's got something different, and they felt the need to separate him.

In the case of the Koopaling costumes for Bowser Jr (I'm not even sure if they are 100% confirmed, but I believe there was something confirmed, I just don't know what) there are 7 alternate characters connected to the exact same moveset. This is a very unique case. I doubt there is a single character in the entire roster who would have all of their costume slots associated with other characters, let alone having 7 alternate costumes at all.

It is kind of a unique tradeoff because on one hand you have a character who allows 7 other characters who would probably not be accepted into Smash games otherwise, but at the same time all of them don't have a "traditional" Smash palette swap. At any rate, let's say that's fine for a moment and get to the trophy earning business.

From what I understand, Kriven's concern is with the fact that one of the koopalings (I think it was Larry?) was shown gained as a trophy in his Clown Car, suggesting that the Koopaling trophies aren't earned in classic mode in the same manner. Personally, I think that's fine. Going through Classic 8 separate times as what is essentially the same moveset is going to be a tedious chore for most people. We're also making a lot of presumptions here:

1. That classic even merits a character trophy as it has in the past.
2. That if the above is still true, that Bowser Jr can only get the Bowser Jr trophy through this mode
3. That it's impossible for a Koopaling being played to get their trophy instead of Bowser Jr's at the end
4. That there aren't alternate unlock conditions for playable character trophies this time

At any rate, I think it's a bit too early to make presumptions about anything until it's fully confirmed in another week or two, or at actual release day. Personally, I'd love trophies for the various alternate costumes for main characters (and likely there WILL be, even for costumes that may not even appear in battle as evident by Mario's Boomerang costume seen as a trophy), but I think it's smarter to allow alternate methods of unlocking them, even if they are alternate characters entirely.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPER SM4SH BROS - by Omega - 07-05-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: SUPER SM4SH BROS - You can't sail in a boat with a CONFIRMED LEAK - by TomGuycott - 08-26-2014, 12:03 PM