Users browsing this thread: 81 Guest(s)
Poll: Which Mii Fighter are you going to use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The Mii Gunner
18.97%
11 18.97%
The Mii Brawler
24.14%
14 24.14%
The Mii Swordsman
22.41%
13 22.41%
I don't plan on using Miis
34.48%
20 34.48%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TSR's Super Smash Bros Thread|SWITCH HYPE TRAIN NOW BOARDING
(08-05-2014, 05:25 AM)Koopaul Wrote: You got to be more fair when doing this. Kid Icarus is getting a ridiculous amount of content... from one new game. Are we forgetting that the series has only three games (two if you live in Japan) and was dead for 15 years?

If anything the series is no better than Mother. But we don't have a million items for Mother in Smash. I have yet to see any Mother enemies in Smash Run. Mother deserves more than it's getting.

This isn't just about Donkey Kong fandom, this is about the bigger picture. When making a game celebrating Nintendo, don't play favorites.

Easy now, Koopaul. While I agree 6 new items inspired by Kid Icarus may seem a bit much, I also think that all the new items look fun as hell. A lot of what Sakurai does translates well into his other game series. Smash plays somewhat like Kirby Superstar in terms of certain move inputs (with tweaking of course), Kirby's Air Ride elements have appeared in multiple games (Smash Run, the glass containers for achieving things in Brawl and Kid Icarus).

You also have to remember that representation of a series doesn't necessarily have much to do with a game's history, but more about what is going to translate well into this game. This is kind of sad in some cases. I'd love more Metroid representation, but most of the "items" you can get in the game are merely power-ups to Samus' suit, and while one did cross over well, everything else is kind of left in the dust. However, if you paid close attention to early Smash Run videos, the Power Bomb is making an appearance, so there's more going on than face value here right now.

I think another reason that a lot of Kid Icarus stuff showed up early is the fact some of the assets were already there. In the 3DS version at least, they might have been able to use 3D models right out of the original game. Granted, they probably would have just made a new model from scratch by the end, but at least with something to start maybe they were able to play around with the ideas and get a good idea for how these items would work.

In the end, I DON'T think that we will see many or any new items for Mother, Donkey Kong or Star Fox. The series that will always strong-arm the Items list is Mario, Zelda, Pokemon with their Pokeball variety, and Kid Icarus in a distant fourth ONLY as of now. There IS still time for stuff to be introduced.

But out of all the things you mentioned getting stiffed, you forgot the good Captain. He hasn't had a single item to his name and has been in the game since the beginning.
Thanked by: Virt, Mystie, Tellis

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPER SM4SH BROS - by Omega - 07-05-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: SUPER SM4SH BROS - Be a Man, Turn Off Your Items - by TomGuycott - 08-05-2014, 08:16 AM