Users browsing this thread: 14 Guest(s)
[DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0
(02-07-2016, 01:07 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: And what is the issue with sharing studies? It's a good way of keeping track of progress. They are perhaps hard to judge on their own or as individual pieces, but put into the context of a string of other studies or towards a project, it makes sense and gives an impression of how things are improving/evolving.
Despite having a different status, studies are just as important as finished pieces, if not more. They're the building blocks for finished pieces. Sharing studies is a good way to share your working process, and having feedback for that helps for finished pieces as well as studies. I don't think there is a dichotomy between work and study.
Doing non-OC work/studies is a way of starting with a prefabricated base in a way, it can be quite useful if you're lacking inspiration, if you want some guidelines, constraints... All this goes toward your imagination and skill, and will influence what you draw and how you draw it.
What's wrong with practice? Showing potential failure?

You just over looked everything I said. I said I don't show my studies and practice as there is no reason to show what i'm just using to get better. You're really misconstruing it for no real reason. Practice is definitely what everyone should do, I practice for 3 or 4 hours a day when I can. But due to personal reasons as deeming them just practice, don't feel the need to share them to anyone. And ended the post with "I guess everyone is different"; as to show that I can understand that others have different methods, despite not understanding why they do them as they do.
No one has to follow how I do things, I just do what I do. I keep my studies to myself, I still do them and put the work into them but have no desire to share them to anyone as they were done to improve my craft and prefer sharing things I did from my understanding. I'm not putting methods down or claiming something isn't as important as another or that my methods are correct. Just that personally I don't see the point in sharing my studies to anyone.
Now my original point was I'd prefer seeing what he can do more, as I haven't seen him draw his own work all that often. It'd be easier to help someone if I can see exactly what they do understand, which is hard to figure out when its someone else's drawing being redone. In an event such as that the best I could do is say what could be more accurate or how to adjust your technique for better quality. Sadly though I don't have any ink experience so I can't comment on that without also being comfortable with the tool. I go for more fundamental understanding of art such as  form, gesture, value, anatomy, etc. Rather than technique. Since I think it's better to start with the general idea of something rather than worry about line quality until later on, as it can make things frustrating. So with all that, I'd like to see more from him that shows what he knows in the future as then I'd actually be able to help out and criticize the work to pin point what fundamentals he could work on. It isn't about devaluing the purpose/work, just a preference of what I like to see out of others.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ash_Sux (I mostly post here)
Tumblr: http://ashsux-artblog.tumblr.com/
Deviant Art: http://ashuraalchemist.deviantart.com/
Sellout hack fraud™
Thanked by: Shade

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - by -Ash- - 02-07-2016, 01:55 PM