Users browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)
[DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0
(08-26-2015, 02:41 PM)Dolphman Wrote: I probably should've mentioned that I'm multiracial (Aboriginal mother, Australian father) And multiracial children are common here. 

oh - like Samantha Harris...?
[Image: NMdzEQI.jpg]
(is there ever a picture of her where she smiles? rofl also my apologies, I'm a dumb yankee and this is the only mixed-race Australian person I can think of)

(08-26-2015, 02:58 PM)Gors Wrote: It really depends on what you want to portray - there is probably a better way to represent ethnicity in manga style, but there are no absolute "rights" and "wrongs" when coming to character design

What's bizarre, is that cartoon consistently draws japanese people with thin eyes, which is a given, whereas anime does the opposite - Japanese characters are often portrayed with bigger eyes than (or at least, as big as) western characters...

wat
I NEVER noticed this but yeah it's true rofl

Lemme chime in here and say that yeah - you can present ethnicity in manga style, but it's a little harder to pull off without it possibly looking silly, unfortunately
it's typically done with - as Gors said, eyes, but also nose, facial structure, and hairstyle. you may wanna try examining these features on celebrities, or just other people to see if you can identify discernible traits between the two.

Personally, I'd suggest using facial structure and hairstyles if you're trying to emphasize diversity, like Nils Yajima in Gundam Build Fighters (he's an American character, and he's portrayed to be ethnic/a mix of backgrounds)
[Image: 4K4oo9I.jpg]

With cartoon art, though yeah characters are usually more caricatured (as they're basically facial features, taken from life, and exaggerated) lol

I feel like there's better examples of how mixed-race Australian women would be portrayed in like, shojo manga as opposed to your typical shonen fare though (which always seems to portray ethnic people as strong, buff guys with unique facial features, with very little female representation) and I'm not quite sure how things translate between the two types of media to be able to say "yeah, do this"
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: Dolphman, psychospacecow

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - by Kosheh - 08-26-2015, 06:33 PM