Users browsing this thread: 13 Guest(s)
[DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0
@Zabaden: Nice sketch! I assume this was drawn from a photo reference? the image quality is a tad blurry to make out some finer details, and I don't have the reference to refer to to measure accuracy or that sort of thing, but it looks like a good step in a good direction from what I can discern, keep it up!

@ Psychospacecow: The lines on the drawing are a tad wobbly and a bit thick. Sometimes when inking a drawing, moving slower while drawing a consistent line can cause this if you're using a tablet and don't have super steady hands (I don't have steady hands myself, so I know the feeling) If my hunch is correct, then you're probably using MS Paint to draw, and possibly a mouse; Before I acquired a tablet and photoshop, I used paint's curve tool in attempts to achieve less wobbly linework (which, now that I think about it, is pretty much how I prefer to "ink" by using flash or sai's vector line tools) As for the Sonic bit itself, one arm is longer than the other and curves like a noodle while the other is bent at a joint: Generally, I imagine a good rule of thumb to go by is to keep limb "physics" consistent; if a character is in "noodle arm" or "rubberhose" mode, both arms/legs should be in that state, and the same is true when using "joint mode"

@Keychain & Shade: Self-depreciating-humor is a slippery slope, and sometimes joking about something enough will cause similar thoughts to manifest and cause problems down the road. It's crucial, especially when still forming new drawing habits, to have a positive outlook towards trying new things and drawing stuff. We may not always like what we make when we compare it to the work of others, but the value of even a "failed" drawing is important. HOWEVER, when working on our own craft, we can't get caught up in comparing our work to others while we're learning, it kills motivation and forms a bad habit of disappointing ourselves: our progression should only be measured by our own work. While yes, the fundamentals are a crucial foundation, reaching for a goal of "I want to paint just like Leonardo Da Vinci" can be a daunting thing, and their work hovers above your head and causes frustration and demotivation when things don't turn out like their work. Although it's not a bad goal, if their work inspires you to draw, then draw! don't worry about being like them, use the inspiration to draw what comes to mind and don't sweat it if the result isn't "as good" as the inspiration, that's what practice is for.

One cool thing that I notice when I look at the Cooking Mama drawing is the use of forced perspective and shadow to push elements farther into the background. I also notice that some of the strokes in the linework are a bit more confident, solid lines. Remember to practice your forms, especially if it's character art that you want to create, pay close attention to the shapes that make up a body and practice practice practice! fill pages with assorted segments and practice the ones you feel you struggle with. hips + legs, and shoulders+arms can be tricky at first, but very fun to practice posing with! Heck, I ended up drawing a bunch of arms in different poses myself yesterday. 

@ All: Sorry for the long-winded posts, everyone. I hope I don't end up repeating myself too much!
Salvador Dali Wrote: Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
[Image: shrine.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - by Sketchasaurus - 02-09-2015, 07:49 AM