Users browsing this thread: 12 Guest(s)
[DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0
I'm glad you're still working at drawing, key! If you don't mind, I've got a couple pointers that you might find helpful, a lot of them ended up being more general things. I wouldn't try to redo this same exact drawing right now because it's still a fresh drawing. I'd recommend doing some more exploratory sketching to gain a bit more confidence in that area.
[Image: 80b09315fa.jpg]
We often get caught up in seeing people's end product and never see their practice work. The way I approach sketching might not work for you, and that's totally fine! so long as you're comfortable while drawing lines, it doesn't matter how you approach sketching. I recommend a more loose approach because it allows you to feel less super-committed to a line. And using broad strokes is like running your hand across a large surface, like if you want to get a feel for the curvature of a car hood, or if you're petting a dog: you get a bigger picture when you run your hand along the forms than if you were to repeatedly make shallow strokes along the edge.

Confidence while drawing is an important thing to think about, and I see some parts where some of that confidence in your linework shows: The skirt in particular is a region where the lines are each a single, confident stroke (this is an important practice in inking in particular)
But one last thing that I've noticed in this drawing is the feeling that while sketching, you approached the figure fully clothed straight ahead. while we all have a tendency to go about it this way, I think you'd benefit greatly from drawing the basic forms of the body (nude but not-nude if that makes sense) before applying the clothing shapes.

Sorry for the long post! Keep it up Key! If you need any extra clarification or have any specific questions, you know how to reach me.

I also did a thing:
[Image: 91f64b5eeb.jpg]
I should've kept track of how long this guy took me to scratch together. definitely not as long as a similar one I've been meaning to get back to.
But this was essentially a test of what kind of painting I can do with sai, which I quite enjoy. I'm considering doing commissions like this, but I'm not entirely sure yet.
Salvador Dali Wrote: Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
[Image: shrine.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - by Sketchasaurus - 02-08-2015, 07:53 AM