Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The Case Of The Internet, vs. Psyguy
(06-22-2014, 08:30 AM)Gors Wrote: Well, honestly

Even if this dude is really a terrible person, talking shit about him won't actually change anything, will it? I'd say let's move on and let Law do its job.

Actually, I can say with a little experience here that moving on is exactly what you shouldn't do.
I've mostly dealt with more extreme cases of child abuse, but there's a similar thread here, aside from him just being a jackass (which isn't actually illegal) a lot of these accusation cover things like soliciting minors, attempted sexual activity with a minor, receiving funds through illegitimate means, and even sex tourism.
(Even if you don't sleep with a minor it's still illegal to attempt it, or to put them into a sexual situation, doubly so if you're crossing state lines to do it)

The fact of the matter is that the legal system has a tendency to sweep these things aside if it isn't a scandal or a major coup, this is why so many people get away with it.
What we're looking at here is two different angles that can be taken in cases like these, when it's off the radar and you're dealing with secretive or "anonymous" people there's room for leverage ("Stop doing X or we will release information to law enforcement or to the public"), which to be frank is a scare tactic.
The other angle, which applies in this case, is pressure, a public figure and public information needs the pressure maintained to ensure it doesn't just fizzle out and get ignored, which basically just means you can't "move on" and let the situation play out, you need to kick up a fuss and keep it in the spotlight until it's dealt with.
If that means badmouthing him and veering off-point with petty belittling or insults, so be it, because if support dies out the campaign is lost and everyone moves on like it never happened.

And that is nothing but a losing prospect, not least of which because if he "gets away with it" that can only prove to him that there's no reason to stop doing these things, I have little interest in having him pay for his past actions, my main concern is always simply preventing it from happening again.
B A N D C A M P - T W I T T E R - T U M B L R - Y O U T U B E - G 1 5
Call me aggressive, call me obscene,
but you've always called me sir when you've invaded my dreams.

Messages In This Thread
The Case Of The Internet, vs. Psyguy - by Dazz - 06-18-2014, 10:08 AM
RE: The Case Of The Internet, vs. Psyguy - by Koh - 06-18-2014, 11:28 AM
RE: The Case Of The Internet, vs. Psyguy - by Koh - 06-19-2014, 09:45 PM
RE: The Case Of The Internet, vs. Psyguy - by PatientZero - 06-22-2014, 09:29 AM
RE: The Case Of The Internet, vs. Psyguy - by Eno - 06-23-2014, 12:52 PM
RE: The Case Of The Internet, vs. Psyguy - by Eno - 06-29-2014, 08:03 PM
RE: The Case Of The Internet, vs. Psyguy - by Eno - 06-30-2014, 10:16 AM
RE: The Case Of The Internet, vs. Psyguy - by Eno - 07-03-2014, 03:06 AM