Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
[Important Discussion] Assist Characters
(05-31-2014, 04:31 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: Small update in regards to this: I can potentially make a random occurring assist for Vs modes and a pre-story mode menu that allows you to choose an assist character that will be yours throughout.

This will be a large undertaking, as I will have to make sure each character file has all the assist data, and pretty much have to manually add each one, even with a Common Image function built in engine. It won't be much different from adding new hit stuns and the like, though, and I've been doing that for days.

So my plan so far is making them a special move style button input at the cost of one Gognio letter. So what will it be: Random and a story menu? Or just random throughout?
Well, Marvel vs Capcom has you switch assists between every match, so if it's easier to make it random before every match then go with that, I'd say.

However, I'd argue that each assist having it's own unique number of uses would be the best way to go. It allows us to have a wide range of assist types and allows for more wild creativity for them if we can balance them out by number of uses. For example, maybe we could have Shade's (whose current effect is pretty damn disruptive to momentum) have 3-4 uses while maybe we could have Sengir's old "I'm too cool to fight" pose assist thing have like 10 or 12 uses since he'd act more as a meatshield than an attack. Though if it's out of Fighter Maker's abilities, totally understandable to go another way with it. I just think that'd be the best idea for the feeling we're going for. Another possible option for balancing is that more powerful assists simply have a longer cooldown before you can use them again, whereas weak ones can be used consecutively pretty often. Of course that would require Cost option #3 which you say would require more work as well.

Don't make them pickups and don't make them random for each usage, though. Those throw strategy completely out the window.
Thanked by: Crappy Blue Luigi

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Important Discussion] Assist Characters - by Tellis - 05-31-2014, 06:50 PM