Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues)
I agree with you guys and over indulgence and pushing boundaries is all cool and everything, but critically, when the creators intentions are as clear as they typically are with random fan service characters it can be really distracting when trying to appreciate a work that is otherwise serious
we are seeing a lot of cases were the nature of these unrealistic depictions just aren't compelling and out of place for the games they are in
people are allowed to like bad story telling too and I like some pretty dumb things, but that shouldn't be the standard, ya know? (I say that it's the current standard but I can't think of very many examples oops)

I think there could be a good scantily clad character in a completely real world story if the author is up to the task of integrating them in a logical way
a situation like that would push a lot more boundaries than another ivy justified by "this is how I express my creativity"

as much as chris and lexou's point should be realized by everyone that creativity should be promoted even if it steps on peoples toes, the very reason that this topic is an issue to me is because these lame fan service characters aren't very creative (or at least not properly developed)
I don't know if anyone was ever saying that censorship was a good solution here
I think the general consensus is that we should promote more diversity of ideas with female depictions, that could even just mean creating more in general to balance out or overshadow the existing lack luster ones

also I just want to say that creativity does not equate to being unrealistic
exaggeration and emphasis can be used to create a interesting character, but essentially it should be bound to reality in some way to really be meaningful, at least in my opinion as an artist

Messages In This Thread
RE: Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues) - by Zac - 03-02-2014, 01:37 PM