Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues)
(02-28-2014, 05:57 PM)Koopaul Wrote: Well maybe your right. Provide examples outside entertainment where our society says it's okay to objectify women.

I know there's dick heads who treat women like trash. But no one says what those guys do is okay. Right?

The way I see it, just because we know violence is wrong doesn't stop bad people from being violent. And just because we know sexism is wrong doesn't stop bad people from being sexist.

But that is where we unfortunately disagree. I wish we could all agree.
If you count advertising as an inherent form of entertainment feel free to disregard this, but if you don't count advertising as entertainment: the whole idea behind "sex sells". It's far rarer to see ads featuring sexually suggestive men than it is to see sexually suggestive women, and pretty much the only times I can think of where the men are objectified in such a way are when something is being advertised with a strictly female audience in mind.

As far as whether or not society approves of objectifying women, well, it's both very ingrained AND dependent on the wording what answer you get. It's somewhat related, so I'll give this example (And upon request will dig up to original links): there was a study some time back where either college or high school level students were polled, and what they were polled on is what situations it's okay for a man to rape a woman. Now, rape is a bad thing, and I think that's something we can all agree on. However, the wording used "make a woman have sex with him", and never actually used the word rape. So when you started getting to questions like "Is it okay for a man to make a woman have sex with him if he's spent a lot of money on her?", well, a shocking amount of men AND even women responded with a "yes". It's honestly quite frightening and if you ask me actually ties in quite a bit with objectification, since the people responding positively in this scenario pretty much are viewing the hypothetical woman as something a person can exploit for sex at their leisure without thinking of her comfort or even consent.
Thanked by: StarSock64, Mutsukki, Kitsu

Messages In This Thread
RE: Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues) - by Devicho - 02-28-2014, 08:04 PM