Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues)
(02-28-2014, 05:57 PM)Koopaul Wrote: Well maybe your right. Provide examples outside entertainment where our society says it's okay to objectify women.

I know there's dick heads who treat women like trash. But no one says what those guys do is okay. Right?

The way I see it, just because we know violence is wrong doesn't stop bad people from being violent. And just because we know sexism is wrong doesn't stop bad people from being sexist.

But that is where we unfortunately disagree. I wish we could all agree.

I can't respond to this post in one post. I couldn't even respond to this post if I had a week.

I'm tempted to just start throwing articles out there from people who are better equipped to respond than I am, but I sort of suspect that you're not going to care what random article writers have to say. It's so frustratingly difficult to convince people that objectification is a problem. And here's why:

It has a lot to do with the sheer prevalence of this issue. Not any single individual case, aspect, or fact can convince anyone that it's a problem worth dealing with. The scale is huge. It's very intangible. It's something that permeates society. Cultures are complicated. I can't just prove it to you in five minutes. But if I tell you to take it in good faith that women have lived it and they're not just making things up, then you probably won't believe me. And if you approach it with a mindset like, "well, I never see it, and nobody I know is like that, so these people are clearly exaggerating," then you just won't get it. You can't. And if you dismiss the people who are contributing to the problem as "some random idiots, who cares about them" or assume that these types of people are not prevalent, then you just won't get it.

Unless you're willing to commit yourself to doing a lot of research, then you're not going to understand what you're talking about. And if you really think your arbitrary opinion is better than that of people who spend a lot of time reading about this stuff, then I don't know what else to tell you
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues) - by StarSock64 - 02-28-2014, 06:33 PM