Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues)
I only make the comparison because a lot of people say the violence has an impact on people in real life just like many of you are saying fanservice influences people in real life.

It was more presenting the idea if people know the difference between fantasy and reality.

I don't think the context of whether that thing your killing is a 'bad guy' or not matters. It's more about what the audience is feeling. In this case fun. The plot and setting is merely an excuse for the the player to enjoy the activity given. And Gors is right, there's rarely a good excuse for fanservice, and I think it's because it's really hard to make a good excuse for it.

However in the case of Bayonetta, the character herself is a show-off, taunting her enemies with her sexuality. Whether or not that's a good excuse is up to you. But again, it's not about the excuse, it's about what the player is feeling, and in this case it's visual appeal.

Now you have to understand that most hetero men naturally find the female body pleasing to look at. They naturally tend to think about women the way video games portray them. So whether or not we allow this stuff in video games, it will always exist. In the minds of men, on deviantArt, or whatever. It is their fantasy. And there's no way you can make them unlearn this.

However, for many, it's just a fantasy. You have to give the player the benefit of the doubt that they will know the difference between fantasy and reality.

That women in real life are not objects for your entertainment. That violence in real life is not fun.

The real problem is that there is an overwhelming appeal to the male fantasy without considering females. It's incredibly unbalanced! But I believe is in the process of balancing out... if just slowly.

As for it being insulting, if there were more games women could play that they didn't find insulting, it wouldn't matter. They would have a huge selection of games that didn't insult them. Alas we are not there yet.

Now I already highlighted that women are not objects for our entertainment. So please even if you hate what I'm saying, atleast know that. :X

Okay... *takes a deep breath* I think I'm starting to get really scared. Are we still okay? No fighting?

Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues) - by Koopaul - 02-28-2014, 04:52 PM