Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues)
Lack of dicks doesn't really mean anything; or rather, should not mean anything. Let's just put this way: there are serious men and there are flamboyant showy men in the world. So the equivalent to females also exist. Gender doesn't have to do with preference and any combination of person + body appearance + personality is plausible.

Working my explanation a little better, there are Ivy-like women in the world, so being offended with her is in my opinion, kinda dumb. It's not like she is representing 100% of the females in the world (and even then, there should be nothing wrong in having an Ivy-like character)
This line of thought also acknowledges that females in games are getting closer to the real life. As you said up there, we're getting more 'solid' characters of both genders, and I wouldn't doubt if there are LGBT representants equally as solid. This boils down to 'characters represent the real world so chances are you'll find showy men/women'. This happens, and I would not change it.

HOWEVER, I am against tacky and/or retarded designs, be it physically and/or in personality. While showy people exist, fighting while wearing a scantily clad bikini is not that logical and reeks of fanservice. And there are some personalities that are so superficial/artificial that makes me feel sad. Those are what I wouldn't like in any design. Simply put, you should design your characters while thinking 'what will it do, how would it behave, does it have relevance to the story or something?', not 'awww yissssss dem b00bz and abs'. This is what causes objectification of any type of person, and that's sad. Sad!

(And that's how you make fun characters for everyone, by considering them as people, not masses of muscles and tits)

Finally, another thing I don't like is making a group of only men/only women characters; that's a peeve of mine. While they exist, I think it's kinda boring and unrealistic. I would rather have a mixed cast with different characters; this allows even bigger breathing space for designs and stuff. I also enjoy drawing men and women in armors, it's fun.

I am not exactly the best person to talk gender equality myself because I commit terrible slips sometimes, something I'm trying to correct. So if anything up there is confusing and can have two different interpretations, I probably meant the less worse interpretation

OBS: replace 'games' with any entertainment media; it will still be true.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Kosheh, BullockDS, -¼-

Messages In This Thread
RE: Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues) - by Gors - 02-27-2014, 11:05 AM