Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
G33X (Sketchasaur's sprites n' things)
Oh man, I don't even know where to begin; probably with Thank You. Everyone's interest and enthusiasm goes a long way for me in keeping my drive and hopes up.

I'm gonna break that post up into blocks to make sure I cover everything.

(05-17-2014, 09:08 AM)Kosheh Wrote: I'm actually dying to see the finished product (I'd assume it's for G33X, your flash animation) because I love the shit out of the artstyle you're going for here.
It's like, contemporary Western animation with like THE EVER SO SLIGHTEST Japanese influence, but it's literally not that. Like, character personalities are delivered to the reader by their facial and body composition.
Aha, you're right, these are all related to G33X; while those two aren't main characters in the main G33X cartoons, they star in their own story which is currently in pre-production as we speak. While they are only minor characters, they'll appear when the moment calls for it during the main series.

In regards to art style: I'm so happy that it has a more Western feel. I've been trying to edge as far away from being misinterpreted as "anime" as possible while still pulling inspiration from Shotaro Ishinomori (Cyborg 009) Keiji Inafune (Mega Man) and Ken Sugimori (Pokémon) in addition to Western sources like (but not limited to) Hanna-Barbera, Disney, and Looney Tunes.

Also, being able to draw some characters with noses, and some without, and still have them be human is a fun design thing to be able to play around with. (random note, but it's something that I really enjoy)
Kosheh Cont. Wrote:It's like if Jim Davis landed a job as character designer for an animated series about highschool and magically created characters that better identify with today's design tastes. The hairstyles are weird and eccentric, but not in a way I'd typically associate with the hairstyles out of say, anime. Everything about this is so uniquely western and so fresh ;__;
Haha, the funny thing is, I tend to look at stuff from the 80s as inspiration. And while these two are only side characters, I want to make sure that everyone looks like they have their own stories to tell, regardless of relevance; in this case, we get to have a peek at what kind of things other people go through in the crazy world of G33X.

Kosheh Cont. 2 Wrote:Like, if this was a cartoon or comic book, I'd read the shit out of this. Like, this doesn't have the Seth McFarlane "eh" factor - this is reminiscent of like cartooning from the 80's and 90's and I absolutely love it.
Oh thank you so much for this part! I'm not at all a fan of Seth McFarlane, and his works provide good examples of stuff I want to avoid animation and writing-wise. I actually did make a handful of G33X comics back in 2010, but they're rather "eh" and lackluster compared to the stuff that has been in the works lately; the same applies to the couple of stuff that was animated back then, too (which can still be found on the G33X YouTube Channel)

Kosheh Critique Wrote:Okay the bajillion praises aside, I...know you don't have a ton of real estate to work with in small pixelart, but her chin seems extremely rounded, contrary to the character concept art posted (where she has a very slight point)

...Actually, I'm not sure how to describe it, but something about the chin looks a bit off - like it appears a too rounded compared to the character's art. When I lean in and stare at it, it looks fine? But when I lean back it seems like something's not right.
Maybe it has to do with the shading on the chin? I'm sorry I know I'm splitting hairs but there's just. I SEE something but I can't describe it aaaa

I totally know what you mean; I have the tendency to draw her chin a bit over-rounded at times, I've gone back and edited a few minor things on her sprite:
[Image: NDTpva8.png]
I noticed that her ear was too high up on her head and moved it down accordingly, and I also added more of a point to her chin.

Kosheh Spoiler Wrote:When I'm rich and have lots of money can I throw thousands of dollars at you to illustrate an Americanized dating sim if I could ever get around to writing the damn thing already omgomgomgomg
Ahaha, that might be fun to do sometime!

ALSO!
Here's an update on the player sprites for Fighting Titans!!
[Image: 6kyZsAx.png]
Their palettes may change (or be able to change under certain conditions), but these are the default colors as of now.
Salvador Dali Wrote: Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
[Image: shrine.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nes-asaurus' spritestuffs - by ##SKELETON## - 08-02-2013, 08:18 AM
RE: " Nes-asaurus' " spritestuffs - by MotorRoach - 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM
RE: " Nes-asaurus' " spritestuffs - by Gors - 10-01-2013, 05:58 AM
RE: " Nes-asaurus' " spritestuffs - by Gors - 10-01-2013, 06:55 AM
RE: " Nes-asaurus' " spritestuffs - by Sengir - 10-01-2013, 11:58 AM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by KevinTriebel - 10-03-2013, 10:01 AM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by Koopaul - 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by Sengir - 10-04-2013, 11:14 AM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by Sketchasaurus - 10-05-2013, 06:25 PM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by E-Man - 10-05-2013, 09:04 PM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by E-Man - 10-04-2013, 02:41 PM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by Virt - 10-04-2013, 02:55 PM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by Sketchasaurus - 10-07-2013, 11:16 PM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by Sketchasaurus - 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by Virtuaboy123 - 12-03-2013, 11:36 PM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by Kelvin - 12-04-2013, 10:08 AM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by Sketchasaurus - 12-04-2013, 03:33 PM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by E-Man - 12-04-2013, 05:57 PM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by Sketchasaurus - 12-04-2013, 08:01 PM
RE: Sketchasaur's Sprite-toons - by Sketchasaurus - 12-08-2013, 03:22 AM
RE: G33X (Sketchasaur's sprites n' things) - by Sketchasaurus - 05-20-2014, 11:38 PM