Users browsing this thread: 66 Guest(s)
I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS)
(04-15-2014, 09:18 PM)Kriven Wrote: The problem with the competitive Smash scene is that they disregard the one skill the franchise has been built around: adaptation.

They basically want Nintendo Street Fighter.

the real problem with competitive smash is that it's competitive
and sakurai treated that mindset like it was the cancer of the community

it seems like he spent the entirety of brawl trying to make the game non-competitive (and he succeeded, i guess, with no one playing it as a result)

the problem, though, is the userbase's perception of "fun". for some, "fun" is using all of the items and the unpredictability of their random spawn. "fun" is using luigi, with all of his quirks and his random-chance luigi missile or final smash. "fun" is having assist trophies or pokemon in play. "fun" is coming out on top with lady luck by your side.

for others, "fun" is reflexes. "fun" is being able to combo together a visually impressive chain of attacks. "fun" is being able to gauge the trajectory and velocity of knockback and utilize that to successfully ukemi, and stay in the fight, or to keep the enemy just enough to interrupt their recovery. "fun" is taking advantage of hitbox sweetspots to guarantee a meteor smash every time. "fun" is coming out on top with all the wits (and thumbs) to prove it.

it's nice to see that sakurai's finally catering to that group, and actually RECOGNIZING IT really shows that sakurai really had to put behind his own personal stigmas and just recognize that Things Happen When You Make A "Good" Game With A "Mechanically Sound" Engine.

i'm really kind of curious to see what Sakurai and Namco-Bandai have in store for those who play "for glory" - like, actually balanced weight classes or rebalanced items.

that said, i honestly don't mind items all that much myself - but I don't really like hard-to-see or quick insta-KO items, like the Kirby flying thing or the mines. If you could actually spot-dodge out of all of these item effects, I'd be okay with it - but some of them are straight-up unblockable/extremely hard to escape from which makes them irritating.

if they just nerfed the OHKO potential of some items (like, if the hammer only OHKO'ed airborne enemies, I'd be OK with that)

(04-16-2014, 06:25 AM)Ran Master 27 Wrote: I really don't know if I'm ready for this smash.
I mean it looks nice, but I really hope it has as much replay value as Melee did.

wh-
you mean brawl didn't have the same replay value that melee did?
i'm still playing all-star whenever i turn on brawl nowadays
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: SchAlternate

Messages In This Thread
RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - by Kosheh - 04-16-2014, 10:38 AM