Users browsing this thread: 76 Guest(s)
I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS)
Nope.
Subspace is very much Kirby Super Star.

The level design has similar structure. Enemy encounters are also positioned and set up in similar ways.
Events where enemies continually spawn until the player defeats them all are themselves rather similar to when the player runs into a metaknight gauntlet in KSS. The bosses are also typical Kirby affairs, with the boss having a number of different moves to choose from while the player chips away at him; heck, the Ridley fight even borrows a move or two from Dynablade. While I'm at it, several of the enemy types were also expies of Kirby enemies, such as Wheelie Bike and Flamer.
Subspace's few puzzles are essentially the same as those featured in Super Star, relying heavily on switch-hitting and door-racing. The game also has similar tunnel sets and elevator mechanics.
Meanwhile, the controls have pretty much been an extension of Kirby Super Star's control system since the very first Smash Bros, having the distinctive run controls (on D-pad) and attacks that differ according to the player's currently pressed direction and some other conditions (such as distance to the enemy). Really, one could consider each of the Smash Bros. characters to be new special abilities in a Kirby game, with each character simply locked to that specific ability.
Even the helper/partner system is pretty much the same.
Aesthetically, Subspace levels are also similar to Kirby levels in that they're built out of rather generic tiles that are reused in several different areas and kind of lead to bland, uninteresting areas with relatively few identifiable landmarks (in KSS, this probably hits hardest in GreatCaveOffensive in the crystal cave area).

The main difference (for the Subspace) that I can think of is that enemies are damagesponges, most of them taking at least a full 2-5 seconds to kill.

A potential counter-argument is that many of these features are pretty common elements in any beat-em-up/platformer. While that may be true, all of the stated similarities are implemented nearly identically to their Kirby Super Star cousins.

Though really, these similarities aren't too hard to fathom; after all, not only were the two games made by the same companies, they were even both directed pretty heavily by Sakurai himself.

All that said, Kirby Super Star is one of my favorite games, so... being like it isn't something I dislike.
The whole "enemies have tons of HP" thing and boring level-designs were probably the parts I had the most issue with.

This was probably far longer than it needed to be.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - by Kitsu - 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM