Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Just some artwork I created [Art]
Eureka! It took a bit of time to do, but I created my first attempt at hue shifting! Please forgive me if I didn't act the way you wanted me to when you gave me the critique.

Anyway, this is the fruits of my labor! Since it's a little big, I decided to place it into a spoiler.
Now then, let me talk about each style of shading shown.

On the far left, we see how I used to shade ever since I decided to adopt a new style. I find the feather shading very appealing (especially since it gives me an excuse never to use outlines again), but since hardly anybody prior to this told me that this isn't the way to go, I thought for certain that I reached my peak as an artist and there is hardly anything else I could do about it... Turns out I was dead wrong. I gotta stop underestimating the gap between my style and the perfect style. I'm very sorry this lead to any huge ego problems.

Since I missed using feather shading and I don't really want to go to a style that requires me to use outlines without a fight, I decided to work that sucker to death and crank it up to the max! They said that it was really hard to see my highlights and shading, so I decided to stop fooling around and make my highlights and shading intense! I only held back because I was afraid that my highlights and shading would look awful if I went too far, but if what this old style needs is to get an extra kick, then what's the harm for going over the edge?

The star attraction of this experiment is right of my extreme example of feather shading! This is my attempt at hue shifting, which is what my previous style lacked. I was told that blurring the values was bad, so I stuck to a style similar to cel shading. I understand that this is probably what it's supposed to look like, but are you sure this looks right? Just having solid patches of colors to show the shading and highlights just doesn't look right to me. Am I supposed to add more color patches, or do I need to add less of them and just use a big bright orange highlight and a big dark purple shade?

Finally, we have an example of what most people would not like. I was very unhappy with how the shading and highlights of the previous example are separate and don't seem to blend together. Against the wishes of many of the people on tSR, I decided to use the blur tool on the highlights and shading I did on the previous example and....... POW! The hideous shading and highlight job I did before actually started to look better in my eyes! If this works, this could be my new style for now on! All I need to work out is how I'm going to apply textures in this state. The way I did hair and fur was the biggest advantage of my old style, so finding a way to do it in this new style is a priority.

Could you please tell me what you think of how I'm doing it now? By the way, when I looked at the grey, I noticed how all I did was just use shades of black and white for the highlights and shading. Since that doesn't appear to be in the spirit of hue shifting, what would you say about the use of orange for the highlights and blue for the shading? Besides, since I recall from Full Sail that orange and blue are complementary colors on the color wheel, I think this is a natural choice.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Just some artwork I created [Art] - by E-Man - 05-26-2013, 09:31 PM
RE: Just some artwork I created [Art] - by E-Man - 05-28-2013, 08:50 AM
RE: Just some artwork I created [Art] - by E-Man - 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM
RE: Just some artwork I created [Art] - by Gors - 05-31-2013, 02:27 PM
RE: Just some artwork I created [Art] - by E-Man - 05-31-2013, 03:19 PM
RE: Just some artwork I created [Art] - by Gors - 05-31-2013, 03:59 PM
RE: Just some artwork I created [Art] - by E-Man - 05-31-2013, 04:13 PM
RE: Just some artwork I created [Art] - by E-Man - 05-31-2013, 07:29 PM
RE: Just some artwork I created [Art] - by E-Man - 07-02-2013, 02:31 PM
RE: Just some artwork I created [Art] - by Marth - 07-04-2013, 06:52 PM