Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
my sprite sheets (Sword Art Online)
Hello Tongue

I just made a full sprite sheet of Kirito from SAO. Check, rate and comment it, please Smile

btw. i'm invating you to check my deviantart ^^
Thanked by:
Embedding images is preferred over linking off-site - I edited your post to include the image.

First thing I noticed is that it's a JPEG, which is bad, see here:
[Image: YV8U8fR.png]
You should upload it as PNG instead (I hope the original on your machine isn't a JPG, otherwise, oh well).

Second thing is: If you're going to show us an edit of another sprite, you'd better link to the source, too - otherwise, it's impossible for us to know what you did and which parts are your work.
Thanked by:
I have PNG version but i uploaded JPG to be sure it won't be stolen and used without my permission.

Original sprite:
Thanked by:
Second I looked at it I could tell it was an edit from something (didn't even notice the thing in the top right until I took a second look).

Definitely an impressive amount of effort, but it still looks like much of it was rather lazily done.
First issue I have is with the hair; Kirito's hair is fairly messy (although not in comparison to some other anime characters which are designed with really messy hair), and the sprites don't really show this. If they were JUS sized then you could almost pass that off as a limitation of the size, but they're significantly larger and thus can fit more detail. His hair in general looks pretty flat and his bangs aren't really parted in the same way as in his art.
Sword blurs should use the color that the sword is; right now they're the same colors as his clothes. However, in Sword Art Online weapons would glow a different color when you activated a skill, which would mean the blurs wouldn't be the same colors as the sword at all. Generic sword slashes should have the sword-colored blurs, and sword skills should have blurs with colors referenced from the show itself.
You probably wasted quite a bit of time editing Naruto animations which Kirito wouldn't use in the first place;for example, he never throws his swords or uses projectile weapons, and he doesn't really do much punching either.

His sword should be present in all his animations, since he always has it out while fighting. They should also be somewhat longer than they are right now, and you should make them at several more angles.

All I can say for now. Hopefully it looks much better in PNG format.
[Image: sig7.gif]
Spriting thread
[Image: crawl.gif]
Thanked by:
Thanks for rate SparkMouse Smile I'm ready for the next comments Tongue
Thanked by:
By the way the Sage Naruto sprite is an (bad) edit of some other Naruto sprites (I tried to find which one and it seems that Ninja Council 3 is my best bet), with a lot of the same graphics (for attacks) being taken directly from the game, and some really bad jpeg cutouts in the first ones, so I doubt this is even a good base at all and I suppose it would do you more harm than help (because it's an edit of an edit).

That being said I commend you for your dedication, now I guess directing it a little better is the key!
Thanked by:
Thanks for comment Smile
I would like you rate my sheet objectively. without look how bad/good edit is naruto sage if you could Smile

Btw. I started doing Klein sheet. It's also edited.This time from Yamato sprte. More info will be positioned soon. And sorry for my bad english- i'm from Poland ^^
Thanked by:
Just upload the PNG sheet, nobody cares about edits (plus, nobody has a copryright on other artists character anyway. so stealing them is useless).

In this state, it looks worse than it actually is.
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
Maybe I will upload PNG version when will be ready beta version of my Sword Art Online game via Little Fighter engine. For now it'll be jpg ^^
Thanked by:
No. JPG is not good enough. JPG compresses the information using an algorithm based on Fourier wavelets. This means that it cannot be reconstructed perfectly (as that requires an infinite sum). The effect of this is that you get an approximation to the original image, and you get aliasing appearing. This is fine for photographs, but when you're working with pixel art, which focuses on precise placement of individual pixels, hence the name, this is not good enough. Upload it in PNG format.
Thanked by:
That's the point... When sheet is in jpg it can be viewed but can't be used. I don't want it to be used without my permission.
Thanked by:
However, if it's a .jpg, it's a lot harder for anyone to really judge the quality and give feedback, because we're getting a muddled version to look at. It's like evaluating a drawing that's been run through wacky Photoshop filters.
Thanked by:
However it'll still be jpg till I'll make beta version of SAO game, so if you won't and quality hinder you don't rate it Smile I just want to know your opinion about kirito sprite sheet- not quality of the sprite.
Thanked by:
You are in the wrong forum then, Barbatoss. We are not of the persuasion to give idol complements and pleasantries
simply because you expect them. this part of the forum is all about Pixel Art work and Critique. If you have
no intention of listening to anyone here, and refuse to comply with the simplest of reasonable requests, those reasons of
which have been explained numerous times, then perhaps this isn't the place for you.

I'll be blunt, if you aren't here to learn and improve, and become part of the community, then you really don't need to be here.
I'm not trying to run you away, but that's just how it is.

One more time, JPGs are useless here, and will get nothing but scorn. On a fundamental level, the format is completely useless
for pixel art. The reasons have been stated above very clearly several times already, and "protecting your work" is a poor excuse.
Perhaps you simply weren't aware JPG is a improper format, and are covering for that? Or perhaps that JPG is your only copy of
the file? That would be a shame, because no proper critique can be made without a proper format image.

tldr - Either listen and show us a proper version of your sheet, or stop showing us your jpgs all together, we don't pander here
Thanked by: Gors
I want see comments about Kirito like SparkMouse comment- what can I improve in my sprite and what is bad Smile I have PNG version but i won't upload it in spite of all ^^ It's simply - if you don't want to rate it based on jpg version- don't rate it! Smile Because i won't upload PNG version like I said before.
Thanked by: