Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Puggsoy's Bunch of Applications
I thought to make this thread instead of a new one for every program I make. The VGSC thread will still be used (linked to below) since it's already there and I know people use it, but this is just for stuff I make that people might want to use. And if not then they can at least see what I can do.

Here are the apps. Most of them are Adobe AIR apps so you'll need the AIR runtime to run them. While I've only personally tested them on Windows, you can see which platforms their current releases are available for in their respective "Download Links" sections.

[Image: ibeoF8fqDbTloe.png]VGSC(Video Game Sound Converter)
Converts a wide range of video game audio formats to .wav. See the VGSC thread for info and downloads.

[Image: i5pvtD5TljLuU.png]Palettifier

[Image: iC9EDF3MvclLf.png]Background Remover

If you have any comments, complaints, critique or questions, feel free to post below (or PM me if you prefer). Bug reports or the like are also really helpful.

Enjoy! Cute
Awesome job on these, they look like really useful tools! I'm definitely going to use the Palettifier tool! *downloads*
Thanked by: puggsoy
Oh my goodness! background remover looks really handy. Big Grin
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Man, that Palettifier would've been useful for me a couple of years ago, but at least I had the "Recolor Eraser" in Paint Tongue

Good stuff!
Background Remover is awesome. Works like a charm! Thank you very much Wink
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
puggsoy, these all look amazing!
I'm definitely going to use these at some point! Cute
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Palettifier Update!

Palettifier 1.3 is out! Pretty much improved it to catch up with Recolour (again). You can now simply click to select the frames, and you can also select the background colours for them (unlink the chain if they're on different backgrounds). Also, as a precaution, you can't palettify the sheet until both selections are the same dimensions.

However, unlike Recolour, I've kept the option to drag the selections. You might be thinking "why would someone want that, clicking is easier isn't it?" Well that's right, it is. But what if you wanted to palettify a sheet of someone like, for example, Rayman, with nothing connecting his hands to his body?
Most of the time, especially with idle stances where all his body parts are close to each other, clicking will work fine. However, in other cases:

Not too useful. In cases like this you'll want to drag the selection instead:

I'm sure this won't really happen that often, and clicking will almost always work and therefore you should use it. But this sort of possibility had crossed my mind so I thought it can't hurt to keep the dragging option.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
puggsoy what happened when you recolored that sprite? His hair blends in with the white background so wouldn't the background get recolored with the sprite? How does that work?
Thanked by:
If the background is transparent in the .PNG image then it shouldn't change colour when editing the sprite.

I'm not sure though Cute
Thanked by:
It is even simpler: The white of the hair is not the same as the background white.
Thanked by: HandToeKnee
Yeah... and that, too Tongue
Thanked by:
(10-24-2012, 10:57 AM)Mighty Jetaku Wrote: puggsoy what happened when you recolored that sprite? His hair blends in with the white background so wouldn't the background get recolored with the sprite? How does that work?

Well, what it does is it ignores the background colour completely during the palettifying process. That's why you have background colours at all, so that the program knows that it isn't part of the sprite (which is used both while palettifying and when detecting the sprite's boundaries). So if the sprite happens to contain the background colour (which is unlikely), it'll just ignore it.

But yeah, as Previous said in this example Rayman's hair isn't the same white as the background. And I didn't actually recolour it anyway, it was just an example for the selection (the sheet doesn't even contain alternative palettes).

By the way, since HandToeKnee mentioned transparency, I actually realised that I hadn't tested it with transparent backgrounds yet. I gave a go right now and it works fine, but the background selection boxes display black. It does know that the background is transparent though, it selects sprites correctly. I can't be bothered to update it again right now since it's not that important but I'll make transparency display as a checkerboard in future versions.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: HandToeKnee, Garamonde
Well just thought I'd mention it.
I don't know how it could tell the sprite's pixels from the background on a sheet that had a same-color background to begin with but I guess that's the power of coding that I have yet to comprehend. Tongue
DOUBLE UPDATE!

Background Remover 1.1
Palettifier 1.4

Yep that's right, I've updated both Background Remover and Palettifier! The main thing is that you can now resize and maximize both of them, since I made VGSC resizeable I figured I may as well do that with these too.

In addition:
-Palettifier displays a checkerboard behind sheets with transparency (instead of just white), and the colour pickers also show a checkerboard when the colour picked is pure transparent.
-Background Remover now lets you pick the colour the same way as Palettifier, just click on the picker then the colour on one of the images.

There are some other minimal code changes too but I don't think anything else noticeable.

So yeah. I'll update the OP soon.
Done, but I just realised that I didn't update the ReadMe of either program. Palettifier doesn't need it really (just the header to say "1.4" instead of "1.3"), but I need to update the instructions for choosing colours in Background Remover.
Unfortunately I'm installing the latest version of FlashDevelop which takes hours (since it's updating the Flex SDK too), so I'll update these with the ReadMes tomorrow. You can already download them if you want though, it's not a big deal.

EDIT: Updated the ReadMes Smile
Thanked by: Previous, Shade, Mag, Phaze
Super Laser Map Organiser is here!

So here's a new program, and the most useless one yet! I was working on this for Hammster so he could organise the maps from Super Laser: The Alien Fighter, but Previous beat me to it. Still, I decided I may as well finish it, and now that there wasn't any hurry I took my time to polish it up a bit.

In addition, I had a go at making it cross-platform too: that is, you can install and run it on Windows, Mac, Linux, and probably any other desktop computer operating systems (like Debian or whatever). It's not particularly difficult to make or compile it this way (after all this is essentially Flash, which is itself cross-platform), but since I only have Windows I can't test it anywhere else. Most of the stuff works the same, but sometimes certain features (like menus) work differently depending on the OS. For example, on Windows and Linux I can use window menus, while on Mac OS X uses application menus instead (at the top of the screen). Also Dock menus are only available on OS X.

Anyway, that said, it would be cool if people would be able to test this for me on different operating systems. From my knowledge most Linux distributions function essentially the same as Windows, so my main concern is Mac, but really any feedback is welcome.
If this works well, I'll also upgrade Palettifier and Background Remover to be cross-platform. This isn't possible with VGSC for technical reasons, so unfortunately that will stay Windows only for the time being.

So yeah, you can download Super Laser Map Organiser here. It's one installer for all operating systems, with the .air extension (it'll just run like any other executable). These installers warn you that installing the program is a security risk, but that's true for any program you download. You can rest assured that I won't delete your Program Files folder or mess up your registry Tongue
I'll update the first post soon with the download link, screenshots, and instructions.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Phaze