Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Super Mario World: All-Star Edition: Team Fangame Project
(07-12-2012, 03:08 PM)Mikeystar Wrote:
Quote:I was hoping to see some gameplay, not a ten-minute unnecessary intro story. By now all we need to know is "Bowser = bad. Here are your characters." Brevity is the soul of wit, after all. Right now we get a lot of exposition on both sides and no action. It immediately tunes me out of the story. We have a 5-minute scene with Bowser and then when he's about to finally do something, we cut away.

There is only little of what you're seeing, that's not all. Look on YouTube to find more videos of ASE. As for no-action, do you see most of Nintendo's 2-D platformers having a large in-depth story about Bowser's unfolding plot? The prologue is just enough to show what's happening.

I think you misunderstood me. Having a story is GREAT, but it needs to be A) more entertaining to read, B) Spaced out so the story keeps your attention. You can't have a story dump in the first few minutes of the game. That's not why people play a Mario game. Hell, when I turn on Mario World, that one little balloon that pops up "Welcome to Dinosaur Land!" makes me scream at the TV "I don't give a shit! Where dem Goombas?!"

Not really, but here's a better example; Mario 64. We get Lakitu zooming around, then Mario pops out of the pipe and the game starts. NSMB Wii; The Koopa Kids snatch Peach and take off. The story is quick and you immediately get to play.
Mario 64- You enter the castle, Bowser says "I got yo woman! Bwahaha!" and you get to play. Simple and easy.
The thing, however, that REALLY ruins the intro is all the dialogue between Bowser/Jr/Koopatrol/Kamek that goes on and on and on, and then just as Bowser is about to DO something, it cuts away and get a box that says "Bowser did something." This is telling, not showing, and is the number one thing NOT to do when you want to draw in an audience.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: Baegal

Messages In This Thread
RE: Super Mario World: All-Star Edition: Team Fangame Project - by Ton - 07-12-2012, 03:19 PM