Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Stages from SNES fighting games (Tool: vSNES)
(07-17-2012, 10:22 AM)Davy Jones Wrote: Yep, the vSNES palette is slightly darker than ingame, but you will probably never notice that.
Dropping in to leave a word on that as I've messed with 15bpp palettes myself recently. It's most likely just slightly different conversion algorithms to get the 24bpp equivalents of the colors.
With 15bpp, you have five bit per color, with 24bpp you have eight. The easiest conversion is to shift the five 15bpp bits to the left.
For example: 11111 shl 3 = 11111000
However, as you can see, you're not getting pure white this way. So I assume some algorithms do it slightly different by filling the last three bits with ones so 11111 would be converted to 11111111. Then again, here you wouldn't have real pure black. Thus, some algorithms may choose the last three bits depending on the 15bpp value in some way.
I can't say which one would be 'correct'. They're all fine if you ask me. Though it means gettings (unnoticably) different results. I usually use the first method (VBA does, too, I assume).

Also, nice rips, but I wouldn't have expected less! Genki ^_^
Thanked by: Garamonde

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stages from SNES fighting games (Tool: vSNES) - by Previous - 07-17-2012, 12:00 PM