Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
My Fakemon and Other Pokemon Sprite Stuff
(02-27-2014, 01:41 PM)tditdatdwt Wrote: thanks.. i'll look into everything before i post something else next year or so..
i know how to draw by the way....

We're not trying to say "you suck, you don't know anything" that's not what the purpose of critique is. There's a lot that goes into both spriting and drawing than just "make lines, add colors" I'd like to point out that drawing is often the practice of depicting 3-Dimensional objects on a 2-Dimensional surface.

There's a clear distinction between being able to draw (which everyone is able to do to some degree) and being to draw "properly" or competently, as mentioned earlier by Gors. What is lacking here (and I'm not saying it's a bad thing because everyone has to start somewhere) is an understanding of Form, depth, proportions, lighting and shadow, and color sense. I could go on, but honestly everyone here has done a good job of covering this sort of thing already.

I've seen countless "Fakemon/Fan-Pokémon" that honestly lack any solid design or idea behind them, they're just basically "Unreadable blob with hyper saturated colors and anime eyes slapped on; oh, and it's got a weird sounding name that's element + what-it-is" That isn't what makes a design a Pokémon. at all. really, don't do this. Pokémon are typically more often based on animals in nature, mythical creatures, or even visual puns (example: Eggsectuor is literally an "egg-plant") Usually evolutionary stages are also disticntly differentiated from eachother in some way, either via palette swaps and design modifications: sure, the relationship between stages can usually be inferred based on the design, but they're made different enough so that they may look appealing on their own as a design. I could go on at great lengths explaining the design sensibilities of certain Pokémon and common mistakes are made by the Fakemon community at large, but honestly, I think that it'd be all for naught if you don't want to put forth the effort.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as "I'm better than you, I know best" but I feel as though you haven't been fully engaged in the discussion. Part of being able to learn is by continuously trying new things, saying "I'll do it later" only hinders growth and defeats the purpose of asking for help. I know it's hard asking for help, but we're here to help everyone improve at Spritecraft, that's why people here are taking time to post critique at all.
Salvador Dali Wrote: Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
[Image: shrine.gif]
Thanked by: E-Man, Speed-X

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Fakemon and Other Pokemon Sprite Stuff - by Sketchasaurus - 02-28-2014, 02:26 AM