Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mutant People, Brains, and the Undead (RE6)
(01-22-2012, 07:21 PM)Koopaul Wrote: Heh I suppose but still. I just found the old games scarier because I wasn't sure if I was gonna hit my enemy. Also the game was more... quiet.

I sort of compare it to Alien and Aliens.

In Alien, they were trapped and weren't prepared. They had no idea what they were up against, it was darker and quieter.

In Aliens, they had guns and back up and were well prepared. Ripley knew what she was up against and it was noisy and explosive.

But this is all a matter of opinion.

yo you literally found the game more terrifying because the controls and hit detection sucked, rip.
also the alien is a pretty loud movie; the ship hums and you can hear various electronics in the background. characters shout and scream, things go boom and bang and make you jump. if you'll remember in resident evil 4: the game is pretty starkly quiet compared to five, and two and three are incredibly loud compared to one. even the REmake uses a similar tactic, with a slow build to horror and then overwhelming the player all at once to make them filled with fright.

(01-22-2012, 01:16 AM)Koopaul Wrote:
(01-22-2012, 12:36 AM)Proton Wrote: So in other words,
Classic has less horror.

Perhaps, but it definitely makes the game more about survival and less about killing zombies.

In the old games half the time you didn't even know if you were going to kill that zombie, or if you had enough of your scarce ammo. It made you feel helpless, and to me that is far scarier.

When I see the character I'm playing as kicking ass and taking names, things are less scary. I don't feel so helpless or in danger. He just did a flying jump kick into that zombie! I don't fear for him.

this is something that you address right though, but there are various ways a developer can make a protagonist easy to be afraid for without having to make them a weak ass parody of a man
various games approach this on several levels: resident evil 3 has you play as jill, who is pretty badass, but underscored her badassness by introducing enemies that are more powerful alone and putting you in situations like nemesis, where you have to run. the REmake even does the same thing: the protagonists are a lot more resourceful and "cool" than they were in the original games, but the inclusion of crimson heads and managing which bodies to dispose of introduced new elements for the player to be afraid of.
[Image: cKfiI0F.png]
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mutant People, Brains, and the Undead (RE6) - by SKELTON S. SKELETON - 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM