Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
I dig this Game (tentative title) development thread
See, this isn't just one of those game projects started on tSR. It's a game project driven by Previous. Previous usually sees things through after he started them, even if it should cost his life (as proof, tTSp is still running, albeit almost frozen in time).

The rules break at some specific points thanks to weird bugs. Just yesterday, I fixed another one that would make rocks fully stable when located above a ladder when ladders actually don't support rocks above (contrary to their description in the intial design, but I figured they shouldn't be usable as columns).
Personally I'm not a huge fan of the beta puzzles, though they were mainly designed for general debugging purposes. I've got a bunch of puzzle candidates for the final version here, but I've got to re-check them and make sure they're solvable and not too hard.
The music is composed by Gors in FamiTracker. The files are stored within the EXE as mp3s and could be exported with certain programs, but I figured a seperate soundtrack release (with probably higher quality files) would be nicer, though I think that decision should be up to Gors! I could probably allow "user music", too, so everyone could drop their own music files (or higher quality ones) somewhere and the game would use those instead, though I'm not sure if there is any demand!

The sound effects will all be reworked at some point! I've planned to do so for a while, but never got around to it. The shovel sound is one of my first sound effects ever, I just kept it because it had such perfect timing.

Like everything, the Puzzle Editor is still being developed, although it probably is the most finished part of the project. It will be released along with the final version of the game or shortly afterwards. Personally, I think the user content could be the best part.

The game and utilities are programmed using the old Delphi 6 IDE. Andorra2D is used for graphics displaying (it wraps OpenGL somehow), BASS.DLL for music, pngimage 1.56 or something for loading and saving PNG data (used for exporting puzzles as images and for the game graphics - yea, the graphic list files basically store a bunch of PNGs with some additional information).
It's not quite C++, but Delphi Pascal is what I'm most used to. The only Oracle thing I ever worked with was Oracle SQL and I'm not sure if I'd ever want to use that for anything ((I'm not counting Java as an Oracle thing because Oracle just made it worse)).

Summing up, DIG is slowly crawling towards the finish line. It shouldn't take another year.

Speaking of recent progress, unstable dirt ceilings now have a little "dirt falls down" animation. Yes, I'm trying to make sure falling dirt won't be too much of a surprise.
Thanked by: Mag, SmashBroPlusB

Messages In This Thread
RE: I dig this game (tentative title) - by Phaze - 09-26-2012, 01:19 PM
RE: I dig this game (tentative title) - by Phaze - 09-27-2012, 04:11 AM
RE: I dig this game (tentative title) - by Kami - 10-15-2012, 06:33 PM
RE: I dig this game (tentative title) - by Mag - 11-24-2012, 10:50 PM
RE: I dig this game (tentative title) - by Previous - 11-30-2012, 08:05 AM
RE: I dig this game (tentative title) - by Phaze - 11-30-2012, 08:17 PM