Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Looking for an artist for our 2D Game Project
(10-10-2011, 04:50 PM)Stabsinthe Wrote: You can't expect the people you're hiring to be as excited about your project as you are.

I can expect that some people will feel the same way and that's good enough for me, Just like they are people doing games for free because they love making games. They often group with others who feel the same way to advance large scale projects. The very existance of the Open Source community proves my point.

Quote: I'll get exposure and a potential portfolio piece out of basically anything I produce in my spare time; and 'getting a good reference' isn't really going to convince many people to devote time to a project that you yourself have implied to be a lengthy one.

And you know what? It actually works. People can use volunteer work to sell their skills when they apply for a job. It's much better than the stuff they have done all by themselves because there is an actual context they can discuss and plenty of material to answer follow up questions by interviewers.

Quote:When you need your shower fixed, do you ask your plumber to work for free because he'll get valuable experience in fixing your shower?

Look I got a day job too but I don't ask my employer to pay for what I do in my free time.

I know the economy sucks but that's all the more reason to try different things. Take chances. Take risks.

Quote:Maybe you should read this:
http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum/...hp?t=23924
and stop expecting people to give you shit for free.

Why is this so personal?
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for an artist for our 2D Game Project - by cfrankb - 10-10-2011, 07:25 PM