Users browsing this thread: 28 Guest(s)
the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX
Man, a lot of you are needing patching up recently.
Kind of feel like I might be coming across as a smartass know-it-all, but I guess that's the risk I was always going to run.

(10-07-2012, 03:24 PM)Angel Plague Wrote: Well now well now on the lower left part of my right hand has swolen a little bit, I think constant friction has irritated my hand, so it hurts like fuck right now, I just got some ice in a sammich bag and am using it to numb my hand.
Edit: It's the bottom side of my hand.

Sounds like simple abrasion, try to rest it and keep the area moisturised.
Usually you build up a bit of a callous or thicker skin around the ball of your hand after a while, but if your skin is too soft or it's a recurring issue I know a few people who swear by fingerless cycling gloves for long hours of computer work.

(10-07-2012, 07:44 PM)sponge7325 Wrote: So, yup. I got frostbite. Its not hurting TOO bad yet, but after going on Wikipedia, I can see its gonna be pretty bad later on.

This is a really common problem that I see almost every day.
Not the frostbite bit, I'll get to that in a second, I'm talking about the wikipedia bit, it's very easy to let hysteria blow things out of proportion when you see severe clinical examples of a condition out of context.

Anyway, frostbite, in essence it's caused by extreme cold freezing tissue, it can be very extreme and even fatal during long-term exposure to the cold or if you were, for example, an Arctic explorer.
More common is a very mild form of it referred to as "frostnip", which is just damage to the skin rather than the soft tissue, it can sting and itch and in some cases it can look really bad, sure enough it's no fun at all but it's not permanent or life threatening.

Given that you're not in a lot of pain I'd say you just need to keep the area warm and clean, as always moisturising is a good idea too.
One caveat though, if the affected area and the skin around it start turning black (not purple, red or blue) or swelling excessively you need to get to a hospital immediately, that's a big red flag that it might be necrotic, and that is really no joke.
I'll spare the details since it's crazy unlikely to happen anyway, but necrotic tissue is essentially dead flesh, and it will spread and kill off any tissue surrounding it too, there is no cure (it's dead, there's no way to fix death) and requires immediate surgery to remove the affected tissue.

Again, that's so unlikely it barely needs mentioning but it's better to know about it and not have it happen than the other way around, just avoid exposure to extreme temperatures and you should be pink and smooth again in no time.
B A N D C A M P - T W I T T E R - T U M B L R - Y O U T U B E - G 1 5
Call me aggressive, call me obscene,
but you've always called me sir when you've invaded my dreams.

Messages In This Thread
RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - by PatientZero - 10-08-2012, 01:18 AM
My head hurts. - by Ivyleaf1212 - 03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
RE: My head hurts. - by Gors - 03-11-2012, 07:53 PM