Users browsing this thread: 35 Guest(s)
the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX
I don't know if giving out my "expertise" really warrants a separate thread, I can't deny that I know more than most people do when it comes to medical issues, but at the end of the day if you're really worried about something you should go and see a proper doctor.
I'm happy to give advice and information to help people, but I can't examine or treat anything online, and I can't in good conscience give a full diagnosis over the internet.

(08-29-2012, 07:27 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: Ask Dr. PatientZero. This should be an actual thread in the Real Life forum so that everyone can address their health concerns.

But in seriousness, I may as well ask about this if I haven't already while we're on the subject. Note that this hasn't occurred anymore in a little more than half a year but I'd still like to know what caused it.

When I was younger, I used to occasionally wake up in the middle of the night, shivering uncontrollably. Note that a lot of the time I was covered with a blanket and I wasn't cold at the time. It was only my insides shaking, not my outside. I would just lay there, trying to stay as still as possible and stop shaking, but if wasn't able to do that after some time then I would have to get up and run to the bathroom to throw up. I felt perfectly fine the night before/when I went to bed, and I never ate anything that made my stomach react the wrong way, so I'm sure it has to do with my stomach getting too shook up and all that. I really want to know what caused this since it doesn't sound like it's happened to anyone else.

There could be a few causes for those kind of symptoms, mostly I'd be inclined to say either cold or flu but if it was long-term in particular it sounds like it could be a general anxiety disorder (sadly these days it's more and more common) basically being worried or stressed about something that's presenting as physical symptoms.
The fact that it happened while you were sleeping points towards it too, during sleep your subconscious basically takes over and you haven't got much control over it, so things that you may not even consciously think about can come to the surface.

Calling it a disorder is slightly counter-intuitive, under enough stress or pressure everyone has a physical reaction, I can't tell you how many times I've seen people get the shakes and vomiting before going on stage for example.
There are some other, possibly more serious causes it could be linked to, ulcers, infections, a problem in the areas of your brain that control body temperature (the hypothalamus), a weak stomach valve (which can also cause acid-reflux or heartburn), or even just an unfortunate tendency towards fevers in general.

Really though you have almost less than nothing to worry about, since it only happened when you were younger you can safely chalk it up to being a childhood problem that's fixed itself over time, these sorts of things really do sort themselves out as you get older.
B A N D C A M P - T W I T T E R - T U M B L R - Y O U T U B E - G 1 5
Call me aggressive, call me obscene,
but you've always called me sir when you've invaded my dreams.
Thanked by: Previous, Garamonde, Gaia

Messages In This Thread
RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - by PatientZero - 08-30-2012, 12:24 AM
My head hurts. - by Ivyleaf1212 - 03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
RE: My head hurts. - by Gors - 03-11-2012, 07:53 PM