Users browsing this thread: 34 Guest(s)
the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX
(09-23-2011, 06:15 PM)PatientZero Wrote: Oh, I agree with you that technically time travel is possible, but it's not so much literally traveling through time ala the Sci-Fi channel, and more exploiting the flaws in time as a human invention, and how it's based on rather rocky principles to do with our orbit around the sun.
Technically anyone who's ever been in a plane is a time traveler in that sense, to say nothing of astronauts.
(Actually, unless I'm wrong or I'm mixing my concepts here, anyone who's ever moved anywhere would be a time traveler, granted only in an infinitesimally small fraction of time, but still)

It's one of those annoying concepts that's hard to explain but is actually really simple once you get it.

Yeah, to be fair, I don't believe we'll ever hit a point where we could send a man back in time, and therefore have legitimate sci-fi time travel. It really is a bummer to think that time is a human invention; I mean, sure, there is an initial point when an object is created, and an end point when the object ceases existence, but that's all just a load of crap if you get into the philosophical stuff.

And what you're saying about movement is correct; anything with motion will feel time dilation, although your dividing factor will be almost exactly 1 if you have a normal, easily-achieved speed. Which means your time frame of reference will equal a stationary object's frame of reference~

This is a really important concept to know for Physics 201, and it is a total bitch to comprehend, but yeah once you get it, it's a really simple concept~
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - by Rosencrantz - 09-23-2011, 11:13 PM
My head hurts. - by Ivyleaf1212 - 03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
RE: My head hurts. - by Gors - 03-11-2012, 07:53 PM