Users browsing this thread: 16 Guest(s)
Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games
(03-29-2011, 07:55 PM)Maxim Wrote: It took me forever, but finally, it's done!

Eternal Champions - Challenge from the Dark Side (Sega CD)
[Image: th_ET_Raven_Icon.png]

Thank you so much for ripping these man. You made my ripping project so much easier! You see, I have a fangame planned for Eternal Champions. It's supposed to be intended to be what the cancelled third game on the Sega Saturn would have been like. I have the Executive Producer and Designer of the EC games as a consultant for this project and I thank you for contributing these. I will give you credit for these as you have been a big help.

Edit: Just noticed you're missing the voodoo dolls for the secret characters. I have them all unlocked so I can get those for you if you don't care.
Edit 2: Already finished screen capture. Just need to put them onto a sheet and upload them and I'll be done here.

I was actually taking a break from ripping but I have a partial spritesheet for Riptide I started on and a partial spritesheet of Xavier my friend MysticPyroFreak handed me to finish.

If you want to help contribute to either of these sheets please do, I'll add the sprites you ripped in addition to the ones already on them and give you credit for them as well.

And once again, thank you so much.

(03-25-2011, 11:52 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: I meant it's not going well because of the black and overlapping sprites and taking forever. Tongue
I need to learn how to tile rip.
Hey man, if you haven't started on it already, I recommend SonMapEd for Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive titles. It's designed for Sonic games but it can load most other Genesis/ Mega Drive ROMS provided that the image is in .BIN format.

Here's an article and download:
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonmaped

If you need help, I might be able to. If you've visited the site Streets of Rage Online in recent monthes on the streetsofrage.net address, I have some examples of sprites I ripped via tiles in SonMapEd in the Bare Knuckle II and III Beta sections of the site.
The only annoying part is you need to have some basic hex knowlege to search out palletes and stuff. You also need to be aware that you will be piecing the sprites together from 8X8 pixel tiles within the program so it is a very tedious project for larger sprite rips. I should also mention that not everything within most ROMS are uncompressed. There are some games that have compressed art that will appear garbled in the editor. Also sometimes you may need to shift the offsets just a little so that sprites line up properly. Uncompressed sprites are generally your playable characters and sometimes other sprites. Level sprites are typically compressed. A lot of games use the konsansky compression method for level sprites. Others use custom compression methods. One of the more common compression methods used for some kinds of characters and ingame objects is the Nemesis compression method. SonMapEd can open Nemesis and Kosansky compression methods.

I recommend using this tool to look up pallete offsets:
http://segaretro.org/HivePal?rdfrom=http...irect%3Dno
It has a pallete search option that's completely visual so you can see the palletes in the ROM with your eyes. Really useful for hunting down pallete offsets in ROMS to use with SonMapEd. You can also edit the palletes too though if you're ripping sprites, it's probably not a good idea to mess with any of the palletes.
Thanked by: Ton

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - by Glisp - 04-17-2011, 01:40 AM