Users browsing this thread: 13 Guest(s)
Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games
(04-11-2011, 02:05 PM)adriano gt Wrote: I agree with you ... Yes, it really is a clone of MK. But, say, how many clones of MK and Street Fighters there out there?
Now, you guys are ripping games that all sprites are already tired of seeing and, most of the sprites that are ripped here, just not useful to anyone.
My proposal is different.
I want this game sprites to reprogram him in engine mugen. Will be of avail for me and many others.
Keep ripping sprites in mame, or these default programs, is easy. I want to see, as you said, sprites of CatFight, with all this difficulty of programming embedded therein. This is a challenge. This would be of great merit and honor. A real professional job ....

Let me explain something. Ripping fighting games aren't as easy as it looks. In terms of sprites, they are the most complex compared to the other genres (RPGs, shooters and very old games seem to have the least) with lots of poses in most cases except the extremely early pre-Street Fighter 2 games. The reason why you see Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and the SNK fighters ripped is because they have large fan bases with lots of people liking the games and liking the sprites to be used in stuff. The popularity of these games also caused clones to be made, some good, some okay and some bad. Not everyone is tired of seeing them but you have to remember how many fighting games that there are that do not follow this pattern (not many). Would people be interested of sprites from say Pit Fighter or Ka-Ge-Ki or Slaughter Sport? It would be quite hard to find a use sprite wise for them, even more if nobody cares about the game. Also ripping sprites via MAME or the "default" tools aren't easy either. To give an example Mega Drive ripping has in the past couple of years improved thanks to better tools and it is still stumbled because of the games are either stored weirdly making it problematic to rip or have compression and can't be ripped made even worse if the game crashes the emulator/dodgy ROM (such as the pirated fighting games). Try ripping any game on MAME that doesn't have a tile viewer is also a nightmare and especially if there is colour clash between a character and the background by the capturing route, the arcade Mortal Kombat series doesn't have a tile viewer for example and good luck ripping any game that has imperfect emulation to boot like Burning Rival. Even then assembly of the sprites can be really hard if they miss pieces (even a few pixels like SNK games have), or stored nastily in the ROM.

Just be thankful that people are giving up free time that they might not have a lot of just to rip sprites. There is no such thing as a professional sprite ripper, it is about the passion of sprite preservation from people playing their favourite game and enjoying sprite ripping that game to discovering new stuff that people didn't notice to trying new things that makes it easier in the future. Some people even rip stuff that they don't like just to show the range a person can go. Also remember that many rippers don't take requests of sprite rips or see begging as a bad thing. Requesting help is good but expecting a bunch of people to rip something that you want with little gratitude that takes a lot of effort isn't.

I highly doubt someone would actually rip Catfight, not because it was an obscure game (obscure games get ripped all the time), it is because it is a bad game that only a very few people care about and not in a good way like Big Rigs. To see their characters in Mugen might even put people off downloading them and if you do "reprogram" the game it takes people to even look at it. If someone does indeed rip it, you should be very greatful. Also a very few people have the skill to rip games especially on PC games that have no research whatsoever. I looked at a PC game called One Must Fall (the original one, not 2097) and scratched my head of where the sprites are, even after looking at a hex editor. There are factors such as the game might not work on your computer to do a memory dump or to capture, compression and might require knowledge of disassembly of the ROM/file, that probably only a couple members of all sprite rippers online know about in depth. Then again PC ripping isn't my area.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - by Yawackhary - 04-11-2011, 06:30 PM