Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
List three things that you can't draw at ALL
Oh, I missed that!

Simpler styles aren't really my thing, I'm not too good at them myself, but the best advice I can give you is first to try not to think too much about style, and second try to work fast and cut things down to the bare minimum amount of detail (at least when you're working from life).
Try and find the best "shortcuts" for you and try to apply them to your more stylised drawings- how do you show differently shaped noses without making them pseudo-realistic? How do you show age without doing the same? How do you keep a simple style without your characters looking samey? That's when you can start thinking a bit more about style and looking at how other artists do things c:
Also try and simplify people into shapes, as I've said before. But not just for the sake of perspective; look at relative distances between people's features, as well as the general shapes of their face. Say, Woody Harrelson:
[Image: woody-harrelson-in-2012.jpg]
Has a long face with a strong jaw and a particularly long forhead
you could pretty well simplify his face shape into a rectangle and just round off a couple of the corners, and you'd have a pretty good idea of his face shape.

While you're practicing, it might be a good idea to draw from photos of celebrities actually; it's not really *as* good for you to draw from photos, but it's easier to draw from celebrities because then when you show other people they'll be better equipped to tell you if you got a good likeness, if it's someone they recognise.

One thing that's hard to explain: try not to fixate too much on accuracy and try to get an "idea" of how someone looks. Draw fairly quickly, compare to the photo, notice where you went wrong, then redraw it again, trying to be quick. If you fixate too much on accuracy and sloooowly getting a likeness then your caricatures will start to lack energy.
[Image: 6WzBw.gif]
Thanked by: Lexou Duck, Rökkan

Messages In This Thread
RE: List three things that you can't draw at ALL - by Chutzpar - 12-15-2010, 11:44 AM