Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Cracking Virtual Boy ROMs for tiles
YY-CHR does support Virtual Boy ROMs however YMMV regarding whether you will be able to rip anything from a game. Since many games use compression techniques of various types, it means that it is pot luck and some of these are lightly compressed but look corrupt in the ROM or just compressed showing garbage in a tile viewer. It would require reverse engineering that is way beyond my scope. I've checked more or less the entire library...

These can almost be completely ripped without an issue:
Bound High
Insmouth no Yakata
SD Gundam: Dimension War
Virtual Fishing
Virtual Lab (I think this game is unfinished but got released just by so much wasted space)
V-Tetris (looks like they might be a few compressed things though)

These are partially compressed but some of the main sprites are viewable without any problems:
Galactic Pinball
Mario Clash (already on the site, ROM not cleanly arranged suggesting a rush job)
Nester's Funky Bowling
Niko-chan Battle
Space Invaders Virtual Collection
Space Squash
T&E Soft developed games* (3D Tetris, Red Alarm, T&E Virtual Golf/Golf)
Vertical Force (only the ship)
Virtual Bowling
Virtual League Baseball

*-Ironic since their games are compressed on other consoles (SNES, Genesis).

It just happens to be that the more desired games on the console also happen to be the hardest to rip from and Tobidase! Panibon for some reason... Waterworld is stored in a completely different way than most VB games, it's not compressed but looks like one that TileGGD can rip from. As for Mario's Tennis, well...
[Image: stTkAqAB_o.png]

Doesn't look like an easy rip...

Another way is to see if you can rip from a savestate but... Not savestates from BizHawk as they aren't designed for sprite rips at all.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cracking Virtual Boy ROMs for tiles - by Yawackhary - 08-23-2023, 01:28 PM