Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
My random rips. They've got to go somewhere, right?
(03-19-2023, 11:57 AM)Magma MK-II Wrote: Might as well ask how are you ripping those. I'm assuming you're using Maptapper?

Depends on a lot of things...

First off, no screenshots or captures via emulation!

GfxRip (https://github.com/rofl0r/GfxRip.git) for quick inspection.
Maptapper only when needed for Amiga palette if I'm struggling to get the correct copper list as I struggle with Amiga OS ugly code.

System I use is only Linux based, so C/C++, Python(very little, mainly if I need to post process sprites into sheets but usually ImageMagick is preferred)

If I can't do it entirely under Linux natively, I may use gcc/vbcc and cross compile for Atari ST.

Atari ST games:
Bootloader/trackloaders I have to disassemble bootloader to work out the stage 2 loader situation (packed/loaded where? etc), disassemble that and so on.
For file accesible disk games, pretty much the same without having low level disk access to deal with.
Find files which contain graphic assets, work out there format and either (first call) try to decode natively under Linux or what usually happens is I end up using 68000 assembly under Hatari (no longer have my ST Cry )

Amiga games:
If I can't extract files directly from ADF disk image because it is a track loader/copy protected, then I run the game via FS-UAE and create a save state.
Extract RAM from save state and disassemble code from that.
Even then I generally port the code over to the Atari for a much nicer/easier development environment (for me, that I'm used to).

DOS games:
Generally all DOS games (so far) are file accessible so it just a case of unpacking which may need reverse engeneering EXE's for the unpacking routine.
I use IDA for the DOS reversing.
DOSBOX for running and x86 I had to code.

For me it's the challenge of reverse engineering the packed data and displaying the ORIGINAL content the assets are stored in, hence why the black/white backgrounds.

All off the top of my head, there may be ommisions Unsure
Thanked by: Magma MK-II, Yawackhary

Messages In This Thread
RE: My random rips. They've got to go somewhere, right? - by tantalus - 03-19-2023, 12:30 PM