Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Nekketsu High School: Yamada's Revenge / Kunio-Kun Online

Nekketsu High School: Yamada's Revenge is a cancelled MMO in the Kunio-kun series. It was a sidescrolling beat'em'up that used 2D sprites in 3D environments. It had betas in 2008 and 2010. There hasn't been a web presence since 2011. The developer, Windysoft, is no longer in business as far as I can tell.
There's only one other mention of the game on VG Resource. Some of us on the Double Dragon / Kunio-Kun Discord managed to rip the sprites from this format and convert to PNG. They're in the same order as they were stored in the installation, so loosely organized by character but not in sequence. I also managed to isolate the colorizable pieces of the sprites to use as a mask.

Our current goals are to put frames in sequence and to find the alignment for the layered characters (character customization, enemies that share bodies).

I've always thought these sprites looked amazing, and after getting them open and seeing everything the artists did, I think they're even better! I hope to see them used in fan games and animations for years to come, as a welcome update to the 8-bit look (which I also love).

Player bodies:

The Boys:

Some NPCs / Assists:

Some wackier enemies:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by: Ton

Messages In This Thread
Nekketsu High School: Yamada's Revenge / Kunio-Kun Online - by dauntingmountain - 02-16-2023, 03:00 PM