Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
TileMolester Palette is a bit off... [WonderSwan][Digimon D-Project]
Hello,

I've been trying to rip sprites from Wonderswan Color Game, Digital Monster D-Project. I know that there are spritesheets of this game in the withthewill forums (since 2015), but I wanted to try my hand at it. (because I found out it was, in a way incomplete (a missing frame, another being 'warped'....) (and I wanted to post them here then, so that it'd be easier to find for other people)

At first I did it with YY-CHR, and even GGD, to make sure I would be able to get all the different position of the mons but without any way to find the palette with a savestate (for yy-chr), I finally turned to TileMolester.

I've found the offsets of all mons and their palettes, but at first I didn't know how to find the exact color. So I shrugged it off and just extracted them as is (in psychedelic colors), then turned to my emulator and took screenshots. But then it was a mess, so I searched a solution across the net.

It's only by looking at the palette format that I knew I was in a bind.

In some other thread here in vg-resource, I found out someone (EDIT: It was Deathbringer I think) had managed to make it so the colors would be correct. So, in the TileMolester xml, I inserted:

Code:
<directcolor id="CF07" bpp="16" rmask="0E00" gmask="00E0" bmask="000E">
            <description>9bpp RGB (Wonderswan)</description>
        </directcolor>

with the other color formats, and tried it out.

It looked good. And I thought all my problems were solved.

Until I came onto a digimon with darker colors than it was in screenshot I took of the emulator I use (OswanJ). Checking the colors, I found out they're a bit off...

For example, the first digimon you find when you open the ROM in TM, 

From left to right: a screen from OswanJ, a screen from Cygne, and the one I extracted from the ROM.
The Cygne colors looks closer to the palette in the ROM, but the OswanJ's are brighter (and better, and that's what I am aiming for, tbh).

Anyway, how can I know which palette is the 'real' one when I get three different results? (I guess the answer to that is: the one from the ROM, duh) I'd really like to get them in the OswanJ palettes but even by tweaking the masks value in the xml, I can't seem to manage it. For example, one color (the small bright spot on Gigimon's forehead) is #ffcccc in the OswanJ palette, #f0c0c0 in Cygne, and e0c0c0 in the ROM. I thought about just getting the spirtes out, and then swap colors with Aseprite, but I'd rather not take the risk of making errors while replacing colors, like a color replaced getting replaced because it turns out it was already there but in another place. (It already happened  Cry )

Is there a way to tweak the rmask/gmask/bmask values to get to the desired results? (Because another digimon just look plain weird in the ROM's palettes!) If so, how?  Unsure
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
TileMolester Palette is a bit off... [WonderSwan][Digimon D-Project] - by NerysRhys - 08-14-2021, 08:15 AM