Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Pokemon TCG2 GBC Sprite Project
Forgive me for the terrible title, I'm awful at naming things.

Hello! Back in about November of 2011, a user named Starturds / Plino / Indigo Jeans created a thread on this forum with the intention of creating sprites in the style of the Japan-exclusive Pokemon game "Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team GR!" which was a sequel to the original Gameboy game "Pokemon Trading Card Game." You can find the original thread from TVGR here, and another version of the thread on SmashBoards.

While I myself have never really played the TCG, I've always had a huge soft spot for the artwork. The reason they started making sprites for the sequel as opposed to the original is because the palette restrictions are a bit looser for the GBC. This means it's easier to add clearer, crisper details. I assume that's at least partially the reason, anyway.

The color limit per sprite is about 8 colors--that's the aesthetic I'm going for here, anyway--and there's technically a limit of 4 colors per 8x8 tile in the sprite, but as you're about to see, I (and apparently people from the project 10 years ago) said "fuck it," and just stuck to keeping it at 8 colors or fewer.

The project originally wanted to finish the remaining two Gen 1 sets, as well as a few of the Gen 2 sets. Eventually everyone's submissions just went all over the place and people started contributing sprites from a lot of different expansions. While it was really cool to see more modern TCG artwork in this 8-bit style, I'd like to keep things that way (as in, gen 1 and 2 expansions only) in this thread for consistency and structure's sake.

Each sprite is 64x48 pixels, has a color restriction of 8 colors, a 1 px "black" border around the inside edges, and usually a "white" border around the Pokemon itself. I've made a few examples as you can see here:
[Image: 005--108_Blaziken.png] [Image: 003--127_Blaziken.png] [Image: 037--123_Corsola.png] [Image: 035--202.png]

I don't mind if I'm the only one submitting sprites to this, really. Honestly I don't even have any concrete plans with making sprites like this; I just genuinely enjoy making them. If someone wants to make a game out of them, awesome. If not, no worries. However, I would still absolutely love to see if anyone here would be interested in contributing a bit, as I think it would be a lot of fun!

I have a couple of spreadsheets with the cards and original artists listed.

Gen 1 Expansions (Just Gym Heroes and Gym Challenge)
Gen 2 Expansions

Unfortunately I myself haven't really made anything within these expansions as of yet, but I do plan to once I post this thread. I've mainly just been working with original artwork that I find pretty. I think someone else on DeviantART has finished most of the sprites for Gym Heroes, and they're all listed on that spreadsheet. Sadly I had all of Starturds / Plino's sprites saved before the photobucket purge, but since then an update crashed my OS and I lost all of my data. :\ the sprites are all in JPEG and/or have a gross watermark despite them all being phenomenal, so I'm not sure if they should be remade or what. They seemed to be active on TVGR back in December, so I sent them a PM. I guess time will tell if they receive it. If they don't want me to include their sprites in the spreadsheet, I'd be happy to oblige. But until then, they'll just stay on the sheet since I don't exactly have them saved / archived anywhere else.

I also have a short tutorial made up in case anyone is interested in giving it a shot but isn't sure where to start.
Thanks for your time! When this thread was posted by Plino back in 2011, it was in the Game Dev section. I found it more appropriate to post it here as opposed to there since I don't have any concrete plans to make a game out of these. Regardless, if this is in the wrong section, please don't hesitate to redirect me. Also, I'll be working on Neo Genesis's Spinarak (#75) to start off with, as of me making this post.
If anyone would like to work on one, feel free to claim it in advance and I'll write it on the spreadsheet.  Smile You can find very high quality card scans here on pkmncards.com. It's quite a valuable resource, especially since Pokebeach took down most of their scans, and Bulbapedia's have never been all that great.

Edit 6/2/21: I forgot to mention. In some expansions (especially gen 2 expansions), some star rarity cards have two versions: a holo and a regular one. You're free to choose whichever, especially if you think the background on a certain card deserves to be shown. This is the reason that Neo Discovery's sheet has a really off number. My apologies, I'm going to fix that. If you want to make a holo version of a card that's been done or vice versa, it's probably more efficient to just change the background of the one that already exists.
Thanked by: DogToon64, SmithyGCN

Messages In This Thread
Pokemon TCG2 GBC Sprite Project - by Derpkip - 05-26-2021, 09:40 PM
RE: Pokemon TCG2 GBC Sprite Project - by Derpkip - 05-29-2021, 09:21 PM
RE: Pokemon TCG2 GBC Sprite Project - by Derpkip - 06-01-2021, 06:42 PM
RE: Pokemon TCG2 GBC Sprite Project - by Acfusion - 06-01-2021, 11:05 PM
RE: Pokemon TCG2 GBC Sprite Project - by Derpkip - 06-02-2021, 07:00 AM
RE: Pokemon TCG2 GBC Sprite Project - by Acfusion - 06-02-2021, 12:16 PM
RE: Pokemon TCG2 GBC Sprite Project - by Derpkip - 06-02-2021, 01:54 PM
RE: Pokemon TCG2 GBC Sprite Project - by Acfusion - 06-03-2021, 01:18 AM
RE: Pokemon TCG2 GBC Sprite Project - by Derpkip - 06-04-2021, 10:08 PM
RE: Pokemon TCG2 GBC Sprite Project - by Acfusion - 06-05-2021, 05:59 PM