Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Terrible English dubs of video games
People like to argue about subs and dubs in anime, but video games don't really get the same treatment, despite a lot of games having English dubs. So, with that said, I wanted to know: what dubs do you guys think are terrible?

For me, I'm gonna have to go with KOF: Maximum Impact 1 and 2. English dubs of SNK games aren't really good (for example, KOF: MI 1 and 2, Art of Fighting 2, and KOF XII/XIII), but Maximum Impact's dubs stand out to me as particularly bad. I'll list some examples.

• Iori's English VA is very unfitting and he ends up sounding like a middle-aged man instead of... not that (KOF XII Iori's English VA did better, but ultimately overdid it a bit on the edge factor) A lot of other characters have voices that don't quite fit. (Kyo and Rock Howard, for example)
  • Yuri sounds like a young kid, which highlights how her VA isn't providing any form of energy to her lines.
  • This one is a gripe I have with Maximum Impact 2 specifically since it deals with one of the characters introduced in that game: Fio's VA sounds like she is trying to come off as "cute" but fails and ends up just sounding like she's stuck in a permanent ear-grating falsetto.
  • This is a minor complaint, but I still have problems with it: the fact that all of the Japanese lines are translated, including most of the attack names. I dunno, but to me it just feels wrong to hear "What's wrong?" instead of "Doushita?" when Iori performs his Yami Barai attack.

That's basically it for me, since most of my other complaints boil down to "VA not putting any effort into their performance" or "VA doesn't fit the character." So, how about you guys?
Did you know that I am showcasing my custom-made sprites? Check it out!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Terrible English dubs of video games - by superspongebobbros - 02-10-2021, 08:05 PM