Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Working on Metroid: Other M
DAY 2. No luck. Decided to post an update out of desperation.

- I used Trid to look into the unnamed files and discovered most of them are BRRES models, as I suspected. Slapping a .brres on the end of the filename makes it accessible. That's no real surprise, those are already ripped on the Models Resource. There are literally thousands more of these unnamed files though, so it's possible some audio files are lurking in there. Trid doesn't recognize anything that isn't a BRRES so far.
- I tried adding audio file extensions such as .aix, .adx, or even just .pak to the unnamed files with no luck.
- I looked into other recent Metroid games such as Samus Returns and discovered they have a similar problem; the global sound effects don't seem to be in the "sound" folder, only the ambience, cutscene audio, and music. Which is great, but those are already ripped on YouTube and such. This might be a thing lots of Metroid games do?
- I've looked into any potential Other M modding scene for any leads and found pretty much nothing. One guy made an amateur hack called Maxximum Edition, but it doesn't change any of sound effects I'm looking for, just cutscene audio. I've yet to reach out to this mod-maker due to him being gone from all social media; he deleted his reddit account and I can't find any other traces of him (I think he goes by JKMaxx?)
- Again, I tried opening the .aix audio files to see if they had multiple clips in them, but there was only one in each. The ones we already have uploaded were all kept in separate files, they are not archives.
- I got really desperate and dug up my old laptop that had the Other M sounds zip folder years ago. I'd factory reset it since then before I gave it to a brother, so I tried using Recuva to get them back - nothing showed up. If I didn't have those few samples already, I would think I'd gone mad and imagined the whole thing.

I'm at my wits end, but I'm not giving up yet. Will post another update when I've worked on it some more. I'm very amateur at this so I'm probably missing something obvious, but hey, part of the learning process.
Here are links to my stuff:
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Working on Metroid: Other M - by Unknowni123 - 01-09-2021, 12:57 AM
RE: Working on Metroid: Other M - by Unknowni123 - 01-10-2021, 01:28 AM
RE: Working on Metroid: Other M - by Unknowni123 - 01-11-2021, 06:09 PM
RE: Working on Metroid: Other M - by Unknowni123 - 01-12-2021, 04:22 PM
RE: Working on Metroid: Other M - by AJD-262 - 01-12-2021, 06:40 PM