Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
GBC color limitations
So, I'm currently working on a project using Mega Man Xtreme 2 sprites as a base/style for practice.  However, my perfectionism is making me make sure I'm following the rules for the colors for the GBC.

I was told by another spriter that's is working on a similar project that the GBC sprites are 4 colors and one of those being transparency.  I'm not sure if that is just dealing with this game in particular, though, as other games, such as Shantae, has quite a few colors on the sprites.  Shantae herself has *6* colors; black outline, white, tan, red, blue, and yellow.

So color me confused!  I *think* it may be because Shantae is exclusively on the GBC and isn't backwards compatible with the GB.  From what I remember though, GBC cartridges didn't have the little nick on the corner so you couldn't put it in the GB, yet I see Shantae carts that have that nick.  Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard and Shantae is just a special case?

Anyway, the sprite I'm creating has 4 colors..I'm not sure if that falls in line with the GBC's capabilities though, since one is supposed to be a "transparent color."  I noticed that Zero on MM Xtreme 2 has 4 colors when you include his saber..so I'm still a bit confused.

Anybody got some insight on this?

Also, I'm providing a snippet of what I'm working on as an attachment.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
GBC color limitations - by zye1984 - 12-28-2020, 03:33 PM
RE: GBC color limitations - by Barack Obama - 12-29-2020, 01:50 PM
RE: GBC color limitations - by zye1984 - 12-29-2020, 03:33 PM
RE: GBC color limitations - by zye1984 - 01-04-2021, 05:11 AM