Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Tonic Trouble Special Edition - MPEG-like file decoding (extracted from .MPX archive)
Thank you for your reply!

The sample has been taken from Tonic Trouble for PC [Special Edition, version 8.7.0]. Available as abandonware on 16bit.pl (it is attached with Wine libraries to run on modern systems [set no more than 1600x900 or 1680x1050 in C:\Windows\Ubi\Ubi.ini to avoid crashes; run the game from desktop].

Retail version was already ripped, since it has different file format (probably similar to those in Rayman 2) and possibly worse quality. There is only on-the-fly rip from this release (recorded during the game).

All games based on OpenSpace engine on PC, have built-in mechanism repsonsible for downsample all audio files, even if game files are really 44kHz. Kooz and Synthesis were doing an extensive research about it. Changing decoding libraries can enhance samplerate a bit, but not to playback 44kHz.

If those files are really 44kHz, I can imagine how cool they can sound in comparison to currently known releases, since I put my hands on 44kHz files from PSX version of Rayman 2, and it was breathtaking....
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tonic Trouble Special Edition - MPEG-like file decoding (extracted from .MPX archive) - by deton24 - 09-10-2019, 07:50 PM