Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Broderbund Entertainment (for PC)
PC - Broderbund, 'Totally Mad' - (late 1990's, 7 CD's)

ok technically not a game, but still entertainment (Mad Magazine)... and this is probably the only place I would expect to find where someone would have experimented with similar types of extractions... considering that Broderbund did make games as well.  Has anyone out there tried to extract data from the related media files?  
Each disk has a set of related files (in 'MEDIA' folder) that obviously work together in some fashion based on prefix... 

MAD.M#  (where # is the disk number, and the largest file, where most content resides)
MAD.MED
MAD.IOB 

There are other smaller files on each disk (3 files for each unique prefix, same extensions).... such as HANGNAIL.M1,HANGNAIL.MED,HANGNAIL.IOB

The M# files begin with a JPEG/JFIF signature, but generally would not be considered that type with any viewer program ... although clearly, the bulk of the data resides in that single file (per disk)... 

Trid reports similar to the following on each MAD.M# file: 

29.9% (.MPO) Multi-Picture Object bitmap (4500/1/1)
 26.6% (.JPG) JFIF JPEG bitmap (4003/3)
 19.9% (.JPG) JPEG bitmap (3000/1)
 16.6% (.MP3) MP3 audio (ID3 v1.x tag) (2500/1/1)
  6.6% (.MP3) MP3 audio (1000/1)

I tried universal extract, no luck there.. also messed with quickbms (although not familiar), but there's really no matching file type I can determine.. tried to do the brute force job with quickbms, got stuck on testing #48... I also used exiftool, thinking there could be an array of exif data entries, since it has the JFIF signature, which reported the file as JFIF version 1.02... but really nothing significant reported there.

Any ideas or advice, let me know, thanks!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Broderbund Entertainment (for PC) - by bigguitar - 02-01-2019, 05:30 PM
RE: Broderbund Entertainment (for PC) - by gp2000 - 08-01-2020, 06:45 PM