Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Previewing images in zip files
Hmm. I find that sheets are fine for sprites that are all of the same size since anyone who is going to use them in a project probably knows how to write a script to extract them as separate files or to find someone else's despriter tool, but when it comes to mixed-size sprites it seems not to good as, unless I'm being dumb and missing something, it then becomes a manual process.

So this is easy to work with: https://www.spriters-resource.com/ninten...eet/93824/

and this is not: https://www.spriters-resource.com/ds_dsi...eet/27561/

Being able to preview images in zips would be good, as for large images such as those profile pictures it makes more sense to have them as separate files, and for mixed-size sprites it almost seems a necessity. After despriting the Switch profile pictures, I had 8.9MB of files, down from 9.6MB (granted, ignoring the early revision picture and everything to the right of it). But we do still have the problem as to how to deal with it all.

Perhaps a simple way would be for the server to extract the archives and to keep a copy of the unextracted images. These could easily be served to web browsers as previews. I doubt it would increase CPU resources and whatnot by much since the bulk of it would be a one-time thing during upload, but disk space usage would be doubled. I kind of imagine that's the last thing you want unless you don't pay much at all for it.

And then there's extracting the images on the fly which would be better but probably use more resources.

Or maybe you could even only store the images separately, with no archives at all, then zip them up when a user wants to download them. I'm not familiar with the methods of doing this though, and if temporary disk storage would be required or if it could be done completely on the fly like the gzip compression for nearly all webpages is. But it appears to be what cloud storage services do when you download multiple files, so it's at least feasible.

But running the website for years and all you've probably already had this discussion or at least thought about it quite a bit. So sorry if I've just wasted your time.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Previewing images in zip files - by ze1 - 12-09-2018, 09:03 PM
RE: Previewing images in zip files - by Petie - 12-10-2018, 12:03 AM
RE: Previewing images in zip files - by Petie - 12-10-2018, 11:18 AM
RE: Previewing images in zip files - by Petie - 12-11-2018, 02:26 PM
RE: Previewing images in zip files - by TGE - 12-14-2018, 05:35 AM
RE: Previewing images in zip files - by Petie - 12-14-2018, 11:12 AM
RE: Previewing images in zip files - by Simpsons Dumper - 12-14-2018, 01:11 PM
RE: Previewing images in zip files - by Petie - 12-14-2018, 01:44 PM
RE: Previewing images in zip files - by Kuro-chan - 12-23-2018, 02:43 AM