Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
darkmfalz's Pretty Pixels
Hey, I'm darkmfalz! I'm new, but I've been skulking around tSR for years now (~12 years) -- and it's honestly been one of the best resources I had to learn how to pixel. Figured I might as well start contributing to the community!

[Image: self_portrait_by_darkmfalz-d96jpgv.png]
A self-portrait, why not. I think it needs some more contrast in particular areas, the neck looks ugly, and, for the love of god, I have no idea what to do with those teeth. That said, I'm rather fond of how the nose and lips turned out. It almost looks like real people.

[Image: the_terminator_by_darkmfalz-d96q3y8.png]
Like this one a lot better than the self-portrait. Mmm, that robot eye is definitely the crown jewel -- it took the most time, for sure. Here is the reference.

But I don't just do down-scales of photos with lots of dithering! I do real spriting too!

[Image: X9sKqLj.png]
A WIP Link -- actually is based off of the Zelda II sprites, but I didn't like the results of a more traditional revamp and basically redid everything, maintaining a similar size and pose structure. If you can't tell, I discovered smear while working on the thrust animation. A big issue with this set is the readability, I think. Everything looks fine on its own (e.g. arms, torso and legs, sword, shield) but when you smoosh 'em all together, they become hard to read and distinguish -- I think that I might need to expand my palette, but I'm loath to do so until I'm sure I've done everything that can already be done w/o adding more color.

[Image: XnNNCkd.png]
A WIP Spike Spiegel -- a little less common than your Links and your Marios and your Sonics. The perspective is supposed to be similar to Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon -- e.g. sideview, platformer-esque, but in a top-down world. The run cycle is taken directly from the Cowboy Bebop opening -- I actually freeze-framed and copied each of his poses and it turned out pretty neat. In terms of issues, I think this sprite runs the risk of being a dark mess because of low contrast -- I've tried to make the highlights very bright to combat this, however.
Thanked by: DioShiba

Messages In This Thread
darkmfalz's Pretty Pixels - by darkmfalz - 09-12-2018, 08:34 PM
RE: darkmfalz's Pretty Pixels - by JewyB - 10-01-2018, 04:10 PM