Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
NES Toon-Link
(07-13-2018, 01:38 AM)Serious Spriter Wrote: "You will probably struggle way more than you should be trying to get the details at least somewhat accurate to what you are aiming for by restricting yourself to the limits of an NES console, let alone the first Zelda."
I like limiting myself because "Limitations breed creativity" and it's fun to find workarounds and make a sprite that cuts corners but still looks great. Oh yeah, for the "You're better off doing it from scratch as opposed to just making an edit." thing. All I can say is: creating TLoZ Styled sprites is NOT my thing.
Thing is, your sprites does not look like Toon Link. It still looks like an edit of the original Link sprite. If you want to make OG Link look Toon, you're picking the wrong areas to focus on.

Quote:"I doubt a Toon Link could work at that size and be recognized as a Toon Link. Maybe if you double it up, it could work." If you were making a fan game then maybe it would be fine but when trying to create an accurate representation of what Toon Link would look like if he were to be in the Original TLoZ... yeah you can see where that's going. Besides I kinda suck with a little spriting thing called "Resolution" Ton should know.
There is a square to let you know the size it should be compared to the original.

While custom making your own sprites would be a smarter deal, there could be more to the edit than your changes. You say you like to work with limitations, but so far your limitation is breaking it. So I decided to show an attempt at how it would look.

[Image: qmjIoMV.png]

The first is the original. The second is your first attempt, which broke color limits and does not look like Toon Link. The Third is your second attempt (ignoring color limits for now). Again, it does not look like Toon Link. It looks more like an older version of the second sprite. The final is my attempt with what was the defining trait of Toon Link: his expressive face. What I did was increase the face area, which gave me more room to make big eyes to attempt to look more toon like. It is still in the same box but it is closer to Toon Link than before. It can definitely be improved upon and fixed, but this should show you the direction of how an NES Style Toon Link should look like.
[Image: okwksDc.png]
Thanked by: DioShiba, Ton

Messages In This Thread
NES Toon-Link - by Serious Spriter - 07-11-2018, 12:26 AM
RE: NES Toon-Link - by Ton - 07-11-2018, 07:07 AM
RE: NES Toon-Link - by OS-PRIME - 07-11-2018, 01:55 PM
RE: NES Toon-Link - by Serious Spriter - 07-11-2018, 02:35 PM
RE: NES Toon-Link - by DioShiba - 07-11-2018, 08:45 PM
RE: NES Toon-Link - by Serious Spriter - 07-13-2018, 01:38 AM
RE: NES Toon-Link - by AkumaTh - 07-13-2018, 01:02 PM
RE: NES Toon-Link - by Serious Spriter - 07-13-2018, 06:52 PM
RE: NES Toon-Link - by DioShiba - 07-14-2018, 01:41 PM