Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Ripping files from The Hobbit (2003)
(03-20-2020, 02:16 AM)SOLLAZZATORE Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 07:04 PM)Kappa1233 Wrote: A user on Youtube managed to get sound files but won't reply to a person's comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcrfEb7SYR4

"I ripped and extracted all 52 in-game Nintendo GameCube music files to uncompressed WAV format 16bit, 44,1kHz."

If you just want the soundtrack from the GameCube version it's actually pretty simple.

1) Extract "audio.000" and "audio.dfs" from the image file.

2) Extract all sound files from "audio.000" using Watto's Game Extractor.

3) Add the .mp3 extension at the end of the files and you're good to go.

Sadly they're quite compressed to save space on the smaller GameCube disc. I've tried doing the same for the PS2 and PC versions, which have higher quality audio files, but the resulting files seem to be in an unknown audio format. Opening them with MediaInfo didn't help either. Maybe they're still compressed?
Hello, I'm new here and I've made an account just to reply to this thread, even if it is very dead. Anyway, I've done the process you've listed here with a gamecube ISO, and most music files work, but a lot of SFX files seem, like the ones you find in the PC version. I theorize that they aren't actually supposed to be .mp3 files, but a different format, and probably an archive of some sort, containing separate audio files and that ALL the audio files on PC are the same way.

For example, SFX_GOBLINS is one file, and is the only file referring to goblins, but it's probably an archive or some way of combining/indexing all the goblin sound effects.

So if we can find the right format or way to look at the contents of it then we can probably use that same method to mess with the PC version's audio files

Only problem is, you've all probably given up by now and probably won't even read this, and I personally wouldn't even know where to start. I hope someone out there knows more about this topic and can help us out.

EDIT: Ha, that's what I thought, you were right, it is still compressed. I opened SFX_GOBLINS with notepad and as expected, it's mostly a garbled mess, but I see some metadata and the names of every single goblin sound effect listed in some order. Here's a part of the first line with some interesting info:
v1.5            Gamecube        mschaefgen      07/11/03 23:11

EDIT 2: I have no clue where to go from here, but I've tweeted at the man credited for audio direction, Marc Schaefgen in hopes of him responding with some kind of technical advice, though I bet that sort of thing is out of his line of work

EDIT 3: I feel stupid, I've just realized the game uses the Miles Sound System, so I bet if I can get a copy of the SDK I can probably find a way to get all these sounds in their best form. I've emailed RAD studios to see if I can get my hands on an evaluation copy, but I doubt I'll have much luck with that

EDIT 4: Now I feel even dumber, because I've found a way to get the miles audio tools and tried opening them through that as mp3 and it still doesn't work, AND audio files that do work appear very similar format wise in notepad to ones that don't, so I really have no clue what could causing the issue.

EDIT 5: So I've used MP3val to repair the mp3 files from the gamecube version, and now the distorted and buggy ones are completely normal. However, again, most of the sound effects still get an unknown format error, and after trying the same on the pc version's audio files, the same thing still occurs.
Thanked by: SOLLAZZATORE

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ripping files from The Hobbit (2003) - by jimmyJFK - 04-02-2021, 08:52 PM