Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Take-Two Interactive Has Declared Modding of Its Games Illegal
This really brings my blood pressure to a boil: http://gtaforums.com/topic/889348-take-t...ing/page-1

Basically, about seven hours ago now, the leader of the OpenIV development team broke the news that the OpenIV modding tool has ceased development and distribution in compliance with a cease and desist from Take-Two Interactive. Take-Two, often stylized "T2", is the parent company of one Rockstar Games, most famous for developing and publishing of the Grand Theft Auto series. OpenIV is a modding tool made to be used on any games made using RAGE (Rockstar Advanced Game Engine): Grand Theft Auto IV, Max Payne 3, L.A. Noire and Grand Theft Auto V.

The C&D basically states that the OpenIV modding tool allows third parties to defeat security features of its software and modifies it in violation of T2's rights. This is utter BS, and if the OpenIV team were willing to take T2 to court they'd likely win. However, the team found it far easier and less wasteful of their time simply to rollover to the company's demands, and it's understandable. However, I can't sit here with this egregious act of anti-consumerist behavior. This is a company which sent a clear message to their consumers that they don't want you to use your legally purchased product in any way they do not see fit. They don't want you to develop tools to help modify products you and many others purchased legally or else they will threaten to take you to court.

I've heard that this is not the first time that this company has hassled modders before, but this opening up a legal precedent that tells other companies that they can do legal saber-rattling against consumers over what they feel is a misuse of their product. This is telling the world that people who purchase goods and services do not truly have the final say over how said goods and services can be used. We saw similar behavior from Digital Homicide regarding Steam reviews late last year, and once news broke out and the public turned against them, they dropped their lawsuit against the Steam users and Jim Sterling.

Considering what this forum is about, and what we dabble in, I feel it is of the utmost importance that we get the news out about this. If T2's actions go without consequence, who knows what they or any other company with a chip on their shoulder might do next.

I know this probably won't help, but someone from GTAForums made this Change.org petition for those interested in it: https://www.change.org/p/gta-v-modding-c...-v-modding

I'd prefer having more people know and directly address T2 on this matter, but I've seen online petitions work before so who knows. I also want to stress that it was Take-Two Interactive, not Rockstar Games, who sent the C&D and deserves to be held accountable.

Nonetheless, Take-Two has told us that they don't want us to modify the games we purchase, and we shouldn't stand for it.
Thanked by: Cooper, psychospacecow

Messages In This Thread
Take-Two Interactive Has Declared Modding of Its Games Illegal - by DurradonXylles - 06-14-2017, 09:16 PM