Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Bridging the Gap - The cultural exchange thread
(05-20-2017, 12:35 PM)Kosheh Wrote: Our Coca-Cola beverages, because it's...cheaper I guess? use HCFS (high-fructose corn syrup. If you're a health idiot you'll know this means it's not entirely ~natural~) and [ironically] health nuts were like "WTF, if I'm gonna drink Coke I'm gonna fill my body with REAL SUGAR! and started visiting Mexican groceries and buying up their Coke products.

This is actually pretty important for people visiting America, because of some stupid agricultural subsidies (farmers are paid to grow certain things, even if nobody buys them and they literally go to compost immediately after harvesting), a lot of things in the states use alternative corn products, like cornflour and the previously mentioned syrup. There's a few reasons for this, firstly because they're readily available and they're made in such excess they cost almost nothing, and also because it comes from subsidised farming and doesn't have to be imported, they pay way less taxes. (I'm not an economics expert or up to scratch on my tax laws, so don't quote me)

The reason that's important to be aware of is that American food will play havoc with your digestion if you're not used to it, a lot of people who visit end up with terrible diarrhoea, which isn't helped by the excessive amounts of fat that already goes into American food. Both of those will basically lube up your insides.
Also, as a fun aside, some American food wouldn't be deemed fit for human consumption in various other countries, because they include ingredients that are prohibited for health reasons. Including anything with such high levels of HCFS.

American Coca-Cola can't legally be sold in EU stores, when we talk about Coke we're literally talking about two different drinks. That's a brain-bender right there.

On that note, I'm not dumping on any Americans here, but do people there know that their food is kind of a running joke in other countries? I mean that question totally up front, are Americans aware that other countries make fun of them from it? Feels like something Americans would be more defensive about.
B A N D C A M P - T W I T T E R - T U M B L R - Y O U T U B E - G 1 5
Call me aggressive, call me obscene,
but you've always called me sir when you've invaded my dreams.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bridging the Gap - The cultural exchange thread - by PatientZero - 05-20-2017, 06:52 PM